FORUMS: list search recent posts

30P footage - converting field dominance in FCP timeline?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Nishii
30P footage - converting field dominance in FCP timeline?
on Oct 17, 2010 at 2:16:54 am

Hi all!

The situation:

I have footage shot in 30p on a DVX100, captured into Final Cut using the normal DV preset. As some posts have described, I failed to change the clip properties of the captured clips (in the browser) to a field dominance of "none" before editing in a 30p timeline.

Now that I have a working timeline, I can see that the 30p footage looks best when:

1) The clip setting (item properties/Format/Field Dominance) is set to "Lower" and the sequence setting is set to "Lower" (the normal DV setup)

or

2) The clip setting is set to "None" and Sequence is set to "Lower"

but looks terrible with jaggies on the diagonal when:

The clip setting is set to anything other than "None" when the sequence setting is set to "None"

The Problem:

Now that I have a working timeline, which also has some true 30p footage from a non-DV camera (1080p h264 scaled down to fit in the DV timeline), I am having trouble finding an easy way to flag all clips in the timeline to have field dominance to be "none" so that they look good in the sequence when its field dominance is set to "none".

Even though I changed all the master clips in the Browser to have field dominance to be "None", the clips already in the timeline seem to be flagged as "Lower(even)", and I can't easily change them all without going to each clip and changing it through "item properties".

Since the 1080p 30fps footage falls apart in the 60i DV sequence when the field dominance is Lower, I would love to figure out an easy way to change all the clips so they look good in the 30p sequence.

Has anyone run into this similar "doh" problem, or am I missing a completely easy solution / workflow?

Thanks in advance.

Brian

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: 30P footage - converting field dominance in FCP timeline?
on Oct 17, 2010 at 12:55:38 pm

Select all in the timeline, right click and choose item properties. Go through the field Dom and select none for each clip. You still have to do it one by one, but at least it's all lined up for you and you don't have to select each clip one by one. Hope that makes sense.

Return to posts index

Brian Nishii
on Oct 22, 2010 at 1:15:51 am

Thanks Jeremy!
Took a while to see what you meant, but now the task at hand at went from unbearable to tolerable.
Wish I had the knowledge to write myself a script or something....
Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Craig Moorhead
on Apr 26, 2012 at 4:15:11 pm

In case anybody comes back to this thread about this 'jaggie' problem, we've found a solution that might make things move a little quicker.

1. Export your sequence to XML
2. Open XML as text
3. Hit apple-F to open your find/replace
4. Uncheck 'Ignore Case'
5. Type 'upper' in Find. Make sure it is lower case. Otherwise it will replace a whole mess of 'Upper's
6. Type 'none' in Replace
7. Find & Replace

This cut down our time by a bunch.

Hope this helps...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]