FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trimming multiple clips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Humble
Trimming multiple clips
on Oct 17, 2010 at 1:18:20 am

Is there any way to trim multiple clips to the same length?
I have about 200 or so 30 second clips that I want trimmed to 12 frames each.
I've been trying to work out how to do this as a group so I don't have to manually do each one.
Possible?

Pete

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Trimming multiple clips
on Oct 17, 2010 at 5:36:13 pm

Not directly, but seems to me you could export a batch list, modify the In and Out columns, reimport, reconnect...? Then just drag en masse to a timeline window.

If they are stills though, just reimport them after setting the still duration to be the length you want.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

DVD:http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

Peter Humble
on Oct 17, 2010 at 7:29:59 pm

Thanks Jerry,
I've never had to export a batch list and it's not immediately clear how to do this. Any pointers?

Return to posts index

Patrice Freymond
on Oct 17, 2010 at 5:37:29 pm

Automatically? I don't think so.

But you could lay a 12 frame clip on your timeline, copy paste that 200 times, and then replce edit the content of the clips.

I imagine that you still want to determine the in of each clip so I don't see how any automatic function, if there was one, would truely help you, but maybe I misunderstand the question.

Patrice

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Oct 17, 2010 at 10:22:08 pm

Put the files in a folder, then choose file/export Batch list.

Open the exported file in any spreadsheet program. Change the In and out points and save. import the list and reconnect the media.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

Peter Humble
on Oct 17, 2010 at 11:42:54 pm

Thanks again. Well I tried that but once it's been edited and saved in something other than FCP Text file (I opened it with xcel and saved as Teb delimited) Final Cut doesn't recognize the file type and won't import it.
Am I missing something?
Peter

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Oct 18, 2010 at 12:27:23 am

You can export fewer columns.. might try that. Just control click on a column header and select "hide". All you'll really need is that in and out point column, reel, name, Media start, media end

Might try just deleting extra columns in the excel tab delimited file you've created too. It needs to be a tab delimited text file for import.

Jerry

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 18, 2010 at 4:14:06 am

Select all, right click and choose the duration parameter. Set a duration and hit enter.

Return to posts index

Peter Humble
on Oct 20, 2010 at 9:39:34 pm

Hi,

I appreciate your help although unfortunately I can't achieve your suggestions still.

Firstly to the re-importing of the Batch List: FCP just doesn't recognise the new list and won't open it. I did save it as you suggested.
Secondly your suggestion of Select all, right click and choose the duration parameter. Set a duration and hit enter....is that a new suggestion separate to the batch list solution? Is that on the timeline or in the Browser? I tried both with no success. Even if you select all it just updates the first one in the selection.
Regards,
Peter

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 20, 2010 at 10:04:21 pm

[Peter Humble] "Secondly your suggestion of Select all, right click and choose the duration parameter. Set a duration and hit enter....is that a new suggestion separate to the batch list solution?"

Yes. This is Jeremy, not Jerry. DIfferent person with a different suggestion.

I made a movie for you as a picture is worth a thousand words, even when it moves:

Batch Change duration

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Peter Humble
on Oct 20, 2010 at 11:33:59 pm

Jeremy,
OK...that's really clear. Thank you!
I suspect the problem lies with the fact that all the media I'm trying to change is of slightly different lengths as when I follow this procedure it still just updates whichever clip I'm cntrl/clicking, if ya get what I mean.
I think I'll give up now. It seems weird that this is so difficult to achieve. It's not an imperative that I achieve this. I was just wanting to see what that particular effect looked like on a given set of clips.

Thanks again for your help

Return to posts index

Jessica Chapman
on Dec 6, 2010 at 3:12:20 pm

Just wanted to say thank you to Jeremy for posting a solution! You saved me a huge amount of time! :D

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]