FORUMS: list search recent posts

"by reference" file missing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mike gorga
"by reference" file missing
on Oct 15, 2010 at 6:33:58 pm

Got a problem thats driving us a bit crazy. We apparently placed a "by reference" clip on the timeline in a project we're doing and then that clip accidentally (apparently) got tossed out, renamed or corrupted.

Now we can't open the timeline and work.

Is there any way to override the endless loop of the program file searching for the missing clip? I have three days in this edit and do NOT want to start over, but I cannot seem to resolve this.

We have gotten it launched a time or two but the moment we click on a bin or the sequence, it just goes back to searching endlessly for that missing file.

I'm thinking of some key combo that essentially does a FORCE OPEN. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Mike Gorga, Producer/Director
MEGCOMM Film & Video Prod.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: "by reference" file missing
on Oct 15, 2010 at 6:58:46 pm

"By reference." You mean that you exported a Quicktime movie...didn't make it self contained, thus making it a Quicktime Reference movie that referenced already existing media AND RENDER FILES. That last part is key. Because once you make a change to the sequence that you exported that file from...any render files that were associated with that change are tossed. FCP automatically throws them in the trash. So those files are gone...and the reference QT can no longer work as files it referenced are gone.

What you need to do is find that file in the sequence, and the browser, and delete it. Then export a SELF CONTAINED QT file and use that. QT Reference movies should NEVER be imported into FCP. They are temp files used to quickly export a file to take into Compressor.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

mike gorga
on Oct 15, 2010 at 8:33:07 pm

It was totally accidental. We were assembling a new demo and pulled a bunch of things in and just missed the fact it was a reference QT.

Its name is totally bogus so we can't find the problem clip on the sequence or in any bin because we can't keep the program from locking up in that search mode long enough to find it.

Back in the Media 100 days (90's) we used to use a lot of "export by reference" but with FCP I know its not a good idea. Now this one file is holding up everything.

Mike Gorga, Producer/Director
MEGCOMM Film & Video Prod.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 15, 2010 at 9:47:13 pm

Reference files work the same in m100 as they do in fcp. If that media disappears, the dilemma no good.

Once you get the project open, delete that missing file out of your sequences and bins. Also check motion projects o you have any in your project.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]