FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDV-ProRes

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin McQuade
HDV-ProRes
on Oct 15, 2010 at 5:47:10 pm

I shot HDV 1080i but hate the compression I get using the HDV codec. Can I dig using Apple ProRes even though it requires 24p? The final output is SD Broadcast. It seems to look ok on the canvas, but I don't have an external interlace monitor to view on. Dumb, I know...

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: HDV-ProRes
on Oct 15, 2010 at 6:20:50 pm

[Kevin McQuade] "I shot HDV 1080i but hate the compression I get using the HDV codec. "

Well, there's a problem. Once you shoot HDV, you are tied to the HDV compression no matter WHAT you convert it to. The damage is done once you go to tape. What doing to ProRes will get you is easier editing, less crashing, less stress on the system, and a better color space for color correction. You won't get back what is missing, but it won't get any worse.

[Kevin McQuade] "Can I dig using Apple ProRes even though it requires 24p?"

Who said it requires 24p? That it ONLY does 24p? That's nonsense. It does ALL the frame rates. ProRes covers al the bases.

[Kevin McQuade] " The final output is SD Broadcast. It seems to look ok on the canvas, but I don't have an external interlace monitor to view on."

Do you have a capture card to output this to SD? You'll need that. And you should get an external monitor. OH, unless you aren't doing the final online and output. If not, then it is up to the online editor to have that. But if you intend to be the one finishing the show and outputting, the card and monitor are ESSENTIAL. And knowing how to prep and color a show to pass QC and fall within all the legal limits.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]