FORUMS: list search recent posts

Empty Video Capture Scratch

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Russell
Empty Video Capture Scratch
on Oct 15, 2010 at 1:49:25 pm

Hi,

I've recently got my first job as a freelance editor but am fairly new to FCP. My employer sent me a HDD with the media on it and told me to make sure I save everything there so he can open it when I send it back. I've set the Video and Audio render, as well as the Video Capture scratch to the HDD, and saved the .fcp project file there as well.

What I'm slightly confused about, is that all these folders seem to be empty, save for a few files in Render Files. Now because all the media files are already on the HDD, and I used the 'import' function to get them into FCP, I reckon it should be fine, but my employer (a producer not a consumer) made sure I set the capture scratch to his HDD.

Am I missing something, or worrying about nothing?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Empty Video Capture Scratch
on Oct 15, 2010 at 5:24:37 pm

Did you capture or log and transfer anything?

If not, then there shouldn't be any files in the cap scratch.

Return to posts index

Tim Russell
on Oct 15, 2010 at 5:43:39 pm

Thanks for your reply.

I didn't use capture or log and transfer, but it was just the insistence of an experienced editor who made sure I knew how to set the cap scratch that made me question if there's something I've not done.

I mean, if you're getting all the media from one place, then you place the .fcp file in the same place, you have everything you need to open it up at another FCP workstation right?

Return to posts index

Joey Burnham
on Oct 15, 2010 at 6:24:28 pm

[Tim Russell] "I mean, if you're getting all the media from one place, then you place the .fcp file in the same place, you have everything you need to open it up at another FCP workstation right?"

Yes. He wanted you to make the HDD the capture scratch just in case you captured anything, which you haven't. If you were to transfer footage, or capture it from tape, it would be there. Since you are just importing footage that's already there the clips you import reference back to the clips already on the drive.

You should be fine.
Joey

Return to posts index

Tim Russell
on Oct 16, 2010 at 6:54:35 pm

Ok, thanks a lot Joey.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]