FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro Exporting 20 hours of black!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
amy lynn
Final Cut Pro Exporting 20 hours of black!
on Oct 15, 2010 at 4:37:01 am

Hello!
I've run into a weird problem recently with both exporting quicktime movie from final cut pro as well as sending to compressor to encode for DVD. It seems that somewhere in this process final cut thinks that my sequence is 20 hours longer than it really is, therefore it renders FOREVER and I get a ton 20 hours of black at the end of my movie!!! It's a 35 minute video and I've done this process with this same sequence many times before, but for some reason this has just started happening. Urg.

Any ideas/help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
amy

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
Re: Final Cut Pro Exporting 20 hours of black!
on Oct 15, 2010 at 5:11:11 am

It sounds like you have some orphaned frames, that may have gotten pushed down the timeline. Maybe on an upper track, or way down on the main track?
I have seen this type of thing add minutes of extra black, but never 20 hours. Very odd.

Scott Sheriff
Director
SST Digital Media
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

Return to posts index

amy lynn
on Oct 15, 2010 at 5:17:56 am

I thought of that, but I would assume that choosing shift-z to fit to timeline would leave a ton of space between the movie and the stray frame, if they were there, and it doesn't. It fits the movie at 35 minutes... Hmmm....

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Oct 15, 2010 at 6:20:14 am

Well, the simple way should be to click on the timeline then hit the Home key for the beginning or the End key for the end. I've left things like slugs and text boxes several times, but 20 hours is a little unusual unless you leaned on a key or something. Don't forget to check stray audio and, of course, double-check your export settings. Worst case scenario, just grab what you need in Quicktime and trim to the selection, then re-export from Quicktime. Not the best solution, but it works in a pinch.

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on Oct 15, 2010 at 12:11:05 pm

Do you somehow have an out point set 20 hours after your film finishes? What happens if you specifically set in/out point for the correct duration of the video?

All sounds a bit odd - I thought FCP sequences couldn't be longer than 12 hours, although I've never had cause to test it!

Alex Elkins

Salad Daze Films - Freshly Tossed
Check out my latest addition to the Creative Cow Reels Section

Return to posts index

amy lynn
on Oct 15, 2010 at 7:08:50 pm

Yeah it's pretty weird! I've actually tried exporting with and without in and out points and it still gives me all those extra hours of black at the end. And also, the timeline itself only shows the actual media from my movie, there isn't a ton of empty space at the end. It's only when I export to Quicktime Movie or Send to Compressor that I get an extra 20 hours of black... Weird. Any ideas? Maybe there is a bug in the timecode or something? Hmmmm...

Return to posts index

Rich Bird
on Oct 15, 2010 at 9:29:22 pm

Complete shot in the dark here (no pun intended), what happens if you save a copy of your project, close the existing project and export from that?

~Rich

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Oct 15, 2010 at 11:00:41 pm

"Complete shot in the dark here (no pun intended), what happens if you save a copy of your project, close the existing project and export from that?"

I was thinking something like that, but start a new sequence, and paste contents from old to the new.

Scott Sheriff
Director
SST Digital Media

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Oct 16, 2010 at 2:36:38 am

How about trash you prefs, and trash the render files and re-render.

Scott Sheriff
Director
SST Digital Media

Return to posts index

tim morris
on Feb 24, 2012 at 10:18:50 pm

did you ever figure this out? I have a 35 minute timeline that is exporting an additional 50 minutes of black at the end. Even though I hit "end" and it stops at 35 minutes. I also made a subclip to try to fix the prob.

Return to posts index

Cody Jensen
on Jan 23, 2013 at 4:38:45 pm

I had this same issue and I fixed it by selecting the entire timeline and creating a New Compound Clip. Then I right clicked on the new compound clip in the event library and clicked "Open in Timeline".
This allowed me to export without over an hour of black.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]