FORUMS: list search recent posts

choking on uncompressed footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Austin
choking on uncompressed footage
on Oct 14, 2010 at 11:38:19 pm

Greetings, god-like FCP brains!

I'm cutting a trailer. Unfortunately the ONLY QT files the producer has for me to work with are:

1920 x 1080 uncompressed 10 bit @23.98 (raw footage)
1280 x 1080 DVCPRO HD @ 23.98 (the whole movie)

With my RT settings on low quality/quarter frame rate I can just about play individual shots in the timeline. However the whole trailer won't play in real time, front to back. I tried exporting it to QT as self-contained (18 gigs) & non self-contained (400 megs) but these files also choke my Quicktime player -- they freeze on first frame.

Since I don't have access to other files, should I transcode the footage to another codec for offline work? If so, which? The DVC Pro HD is color corrected, but looking more compressy than the raw footage. I'd hate to have to color grade the former (not my forte).

Can a transcode be performed in media manager, or will I have to use Compressor? And is there a way to link back to the high-quality files for final output? I'd hate to deliver anything lower than necessary.

Your thoughts are appreciated!
~ Steve

Mac Pro quad core Intel Xeon (1st generation)
2.66 GHz
6 gigs RAM
standard issue factory NVida card
L2 cache 4 MB
Bus 1.33 GHz
Snow Leopard, fully updated

"In modern action films, the only people who work up a sweat are the editors." -- Roger Ebert

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: choking on uncompressed footage
on Oct 15, 2010 at 12:07:35 am

Where is this footage stored? Uncompressed HD video takes up a LOT of drive speed to play. Talking 5 drive RAID with 220MB/s or MORE...just to play. This is why ProRes was made...compressed so it has a lower data rate, yet still has the uncompressed quality.

You need a serious RAID array to play that back (eSATA or better yet, miniSAS...5 drives or more)...or you need to convert everything to ProRes 422.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Steven Austin
on Oct 15, 2010 at 1:47:29 am

Then Prorez 422 it is! Would you recommend 422 for color grading before final output to DVD ? Thanks!!!!

"In modern action films, the only people who work up a sweat are the editors." -- Roger Ebert

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 15, 2010 at 3:31:45 am

[Steven Austin] " Would you recommend 422 for color grading before final output to DVD ?"

Absolutely. I grade ProRes 422 all the time.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
on Oct 17, 2010 at 10:40:17 am

When will people learn... Prores is DA BOMB! :D

:D
Tom Morter-Laing
Certified Apple Product Proffessional, 2010
Degree; TV Production

iMac 27" intel i7 2.93GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD5750 [1GB GDDR5], 2TB Int. SATA with 2TB External HDD; (FW800).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]