FORUMS: list search recent posts

can't reconnect media (copied from another project)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
samir kassab
can't reconnect media (copied from another project)
on Oct 14, 2010 at 8:25:32 pm

hey guys,

i'm working on a sport show about horse racing and i have loads of CG and graphics and tables to apply on the races !so to ease up the task i opened 2 projects one for the editing of the races and the other one just to place the graphics and lower thirds and the tables on sequences to be used later on the edited media ( copy paste)!

so i needed to move the projects to another editing suite and i was able to reconnect the media perfectly in both projects , but the problem is that all the GFX and lower thirds and tables that are copied from the GFX project to the media project still ''media offline" .... is there a way that i can reconnect these copied GFX without having to go and reconnect them one by one on each sequence cuz this would take forever !

NB: both projects have the same settings and both editing suites has FCP 7!

thanks in advance !

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: can't reconnect media (copied from another project)
on Oct 14, 2010 at 8:39:09 pm

To me, it sounds like those graphics files didn't get copied over when you moved.
Since they're graphics -- items that aren't shot, but prepared and saved by a different application -- they probably aren't stored in the same place with your media. They could be on an entirely different drive.

In short, you need to go looking for them back on the original machine, and make sure they end up in the same place on the new machine.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

samir kassab
on Oct 14, 2010 at 8:47:30 pm

Thanks Dave for your reply , but i did that and i am sure that i have all the graphics on the new machine , cuz as i said , the graphics got reconnected on the GFX project on the new machine but the parts that i copied for the edited sequences arent reconnected ! can the problem be that when reconnecting media it only applies to the media in the original project, but i doesn't apply on the copied items to another projects ?

thanks again!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 14, 2010 at 8:53:20 pm

Yeah, the missing graphics in the combined project on the new machine are still pointing to their location on the old machine. Bummer.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

samir kassab
on Oct 14, 2010 at 9:06:20 pm

Yepp your perfectly right!which means there is no easy way to restore it but to go through it sequence by sequence and reconnect it to the new location...well, then i guess i have a long night of searching for needles in the haystack ... i better get started on it ! ... its just that i was hoping for a some kind of a miracle :)! Cheers

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 14, 2010 at 9:13:29 pm

When you made this combined project, did you also bring in the bin containing the graphics?

If so, the reconnect will be easy -- find the first missing graphic, and FCP should be smart enough to find the rest.

But if you took the graphics from another project's bin.... well, I hope you enjoy good, strong coffee.

Hey, wait a minute... it might be worth your while to look up the Replace Media or Replace Footage command in FCP Help to see what it does. It might be useful.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

samir kassab
on Oct 14, 2010 at 9:26:48 pm

nop , i just copied from the GFX sequences which are in project A and past to the media sequence in project B! i didn't bring the bin of the GFX into the media project (project B) , i guess thats my fault ! cuz when i moved both project to the new machine what i assumed that the copied GFX will be related to their GFX project wherever its placed , and not to the original media , so when i reconnected the GFX project on the new machine it will automatically reconnect the copied GFX as well ... bass now i discovered that it was a dumb logic :S

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 14, 2010 at 9:34:03 pm

Why not select all in your timeline, right click and choose "reconnect media" then when the dialogue box pops up, deselect the "online" tab leaving only the offline files. From there you can hit "search" and fcp should find the files.

Jeremy

-----------
Dual Quad core 3.0Ghz <> 16GB RAM <> FCP 7.0.1 <> Kona 3
Sonnet D800RAID, 8TB
OS 10.5.8 <> QT 7.6.4

Return to posts index

samir kassab
on Oct 14, 2010 at 9:50:40 pm

its not working Jeremy , when i do it , it gives me the system error bump , while opening all the media files all greyed , with nothing highlighted to select!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 14, 2010 at 9:52:07 pm

What's a system error bump?

Return to posts index

samir kassab
on Oct 14, 2010 at 10:00:46 pm

i mean that sound that you get when the OS is not able to perform a task either because if its not possible or if there is an error !

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 15, 2010 at 1:48:05 am

What are the graphics made up of?

Return to posts index

samir kassab
on Oct 15, 2010 at 6:19:53 pm

the GFX are diffrent kinds of lower thirds with specific color for each jockey , stings , alpha transition , score boards ... the moving elements are quicktime files with an animation codecs and the rest are just PSD files !

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 15, 2010 at 6:32:14 pm

Those are certainly common files, and I think reconnection may not be as bad as either of us feared.
If all the Quicktime animations and Photoshop documents are in a single folder, it could be pretty simple.

When FCP completes the list of missing files, use the Reconnect Media command, and use the Locate function. When you show FCP the first missing file, it automatically should find the names of the other missing files in that folder, and reconnect.

Perhaps you won't need a lot of good, strong coffee.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]