FORUMS: list search recent posts

Footage looks sped up after converting to WMV

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Rosen
Footage looks sped up after converting to WMV
on Oct 14, 2010 at 1:24:25 pm

Hi All - First time poster here so thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

I am converting HD footage from a movie I shot to WMV on FCP using Flip4mac. I have the studio HD version of flip4mac.

As for my settings, I am going with CBR 800kpbs at 29.97 fps. When the conversion is finished, the quality looks great but I notice that during action scenes when there are fast movements going on in the shot or when the actors make any fast-paced movements, it almost seems like they are moving in a very slightly fast motion, as if the film speed looks slightly sped up. I can't say that it's jerky motion and I can't visually see any frames being skipped but the motion does not appear to be as smooth as on the original footage.

Is anyone familiar with this effect and can offer any advice in regards to my flip4mac settings? Does this have anything to do with the keyframe setting? There are other options in the "Advanced" window on Flip4mac that I never touch but am wondering if one of those might help.

Anyway, if someone has any advice on this or pointers it would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much!!
John

Return to posts index

Joe Paolo
Re: Footage looks sped up after converting to WMV
on Oct 14, 2010 at 3:54:57 pm

Set your Frame Rate (Not Key Frames) to 29.97

joe
editmojo.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 14, 2010 at 4:23:32 pm

[John Rosen] "I am converting HD footage from a movie I shot to WMV on FCP using Flip4mac. I have the studio HD version of flip4mac... I am going with CBR 800kpbs at 29.97 fps... I notice that during action scenes when there are fast movements...the motion does not appear to be as smooth as on the original footage."

Actually, I'd say you got lucky if that's all that happened.

Consider this: XDCam footage typically weighs in at 35 MB/sec. DVCPro HD is at 100 MB/sec.
You're compressing to 800 kilobytes/sec.

If Joe's suggestion doesn't help, keep in mind that whenever you compress an image, you throw away information. What form of information are you throwing away? Is it a compromise in image size, frame rate, color bit depth, color sampling, or something else entirely?

This is why video compression is so tricky, and why there is an entire COW forum devoted to Compression Techniques. It's not a straightforward process, unfortunately.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

John Rosen
on Oct 14, 2010 at 4:40:20 pm

Thanks Dave.

I am indeed using 29.97 fps and not touching my keyframe value.

I had no idea 800kpbs was that extreme. The image size is 960 X 540 so I thought in order for the image to be clear I would have to use that high of kpbs rate. Actually, to be quite honest, I went up to 1200 kbps. Do you think it will help if I lower this rate?

Also, what does the keyframe setting really effect? Just curious if that might have anything to do with it.

Return to posts index

Brad Elliott
on Oct 15, 2010 at 2:05:28 pm

I have created 960x540 wmvs at 1400/23.98fps and played it off of a jump drive and it looked awesome.

Unless you have size restrictions you could take your data rate up to 6500 and should not have any problems.

Return to posts index

John Rosen
on Oct 15, 2010 at 2:31:43 pm

Thanks Brad. I have 27 mins of footage that needs to stay under 300MB at 950 X 540. It's up to 1200 kbps and looks great. This motion thing, though - I don't know if my eyes are playing tricks on me, or what.

Return to posts index

Brad Elliott
on Oct 15, 2010 at 6:57:23 pm

It is hard to say without seeing the problem.

Are you checking it on a PC?

I have made great looking files out of F4Mac and I have had some problem children.

We have the full version of Episode and I prefer the controls that I get with it over Flip4Mac.

Return to posts index

Aristides Tiropolis
on Oct 15, 2010 at 2:51:21 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "XDCam footage typically weighs in at 35 MB/sec. DVCPro HD is at 100 MB/sec."

You probably mean the same but to specify more detail:

DVCPRO-HD is 12,5 MB/s (at 100Mbits) and XDCAM is 4,3 MB/s (at 35Mbits)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]