FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dual Mono Audio Output Question - For QuickTime Render

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Bobford
Dual Mono Audio Output Question - For QuickTime Render
on Oct 13, 2010 at 9:06:21 pm

Hey all,

My question is understanding the appropriate way to export a high resolution final QuickTime file with all 6 audio tracks kept exactly the same as the mixer delivered them attached to the final picture. Below are the details of the procedure I followed. The result gave me a hot mix, so I'm wondering if someone can double check me and explain the questions on the very bottom. Here are the details to my work flow:

I've been delivered 6 channels of final mixed audio from my mixer (dialogue, fx's, & music). The audio tracks have been delivered to me as mono, 48 KHz, 16-bit Integer .wav files. He specified in the file names which track was the "left" track and which was the "right". I imported them into FCP 7.0.3 and synced them to my online picture. Next, I panned each track to the left or right depending on what the mixer had labeled the file.

Then, on the top menu bar in FCP I clicked "Sequence" and then selected the "Audio Outputs" tab and set the pull down "Outputs" to "6" and then selected the "Dual Mono" option for each group of tracks. I noticed FCP automatically mixes everything down by "-3db". I was worried that this may effect the levels of what my mixer already did, so I changed the "Downmix (db)" section to "0" for all 6 tracks. Under the "General" tab in this same window, I selected "Channel Grouped" and then hit "ok". I then set all my output tracks in my actual sequence to the various unique channels (1-6), correlating track 1 to channel 1, 2 to 2, etc...

Can someone confirm this is the correct procedure here?

When I brought the QuickTime back into FCP, the levels appeared too hot compared to the original.

My questions are:

1) Is the solution to my hot mix problem literally just accepting FCP's automatic downmix of -3db when selecting the "Dual Mono" option? Or could it be a problem of how I'm playing the render back in FCP? Why should FCP be downmixing my already mixed tracks? Isn't that ultimately effecting the mix?

2) What is the difference between "Channel Grouped" and "Discrete Channels"? Which should I select if I want a digital QuickTime for archival purposes (meaning, I want the mixed tracks attached to my Onlined picture so I can still access all mono tracks the way the mixer delivered them to me from this 1 file). It seems like both options would work as far as keeping the mix virginal, but is it just "Channel Grouped" that plays back a stereo mix in QuickTime (i.e. All tracks go to 1 & 2)?

Return to posts index

Brad Bobford
Re: Dual Mono Audio Output Question - For QuickTime Render
on Oct 14, 2010 at 8:10:26 pm

Also, is there any difference between panning the the audio to the left vs. assigning the sequence audio output to track 1?

Return to posts index

Brad Bobford
on Oct 14, 2010 at 10:46:53 pm

Also, should I be hard panning the mono tracks L/R vs. keeping them centered and assigning the sequence audio output to track 1/2? Is this the same thing or different?

Return to posts index

Brad Bobford
on Oct 21, 2010 at 8:25:48 pm

Does anyone actually answer these things? I'm still stuck on the problem.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]