FORUMS: list search recent posts

importing audio into final cut Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jesse Holden
importing audio into final cut Pro
on Oct 12, 2010 at 10:50:34 pm

I am curious as to why every time I import any audio into a final cut sequence, it is always panned to -1. If I double click the audio to view the wave in the viewer, it always says the pan is -1. I don't understand why. It isn't just my system, it is all 10 of the schools computer labs do this as well so it makes me think it is just something with final cut....just wondering why? or am I missing something? I always return it to center. Is that wrong? Should I leave it at -1?
Btw this is with STEREO audio, not duel mono files. It is on final cut 7 and 6 and on various computers and setups with various settings. So should I return it to center or leave it at -1?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: importing audio into final cut Pro
on Oct 12, 2010 at 11:02:52 pm

FCP is correctly panning a stereo file hard left & right. So the left channel is -1 and the right is 1. By panning it back to center you are making it mono which is not correct (providing the stereo file is a true stereo file). If the file is in fact dual mono but captured as a stereo file, then you should unlink the file and pan each track back to mono.

Where did the file come from?

Return to posts index

Jesse Holden
on Oct 12, 2010 at 11:12:11 pm

Well it seems to happen with any audio I import...Audio with a Video clip, edited wavs bounced from Logic into Final Cut...Audio sent from Soundtrack to Final Cut. They are all linked stereo (they have the little hourglass arrows indicating they are linked). When double clicked and viewing in viewer, they are called (stereoa1a2) and level says 0 pan says -1 . Why would it pan a stereo file? Yes I understand if it is duel mono, the left is panned hard left and the right panned hard right, but with a stereo file why does it pan it? I would love to understand this and if it is some obvious point I apologize for my ignorance.

Macbook Pro 8gb RAM 2.66ghz i7 nvidia geforce 330m
Final Cut Studio Adobe MC CS5 Logic Studio

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 12, 2010 at 11:18:38 pm

It must pan a stereo file because you are sending the signal out as a stereo mix. If it didn't pan the signal it will play mono which is wrong. Mono files need to be panned to the center so they play out of both outputs.

If you are monitoring in stereo on you8r FCP, you will hear the problem immediately. Better still, try pluging headphones in and you will see the problem and realise why FCP is doing the right thing.

Return to posts index

Jesse Holden
on Oct 12, 2010 at 11:23:27 pm

Your right the quality with headphones is better with it set to -1 pan as opposed to pan 0. I am more of a music student working with Logic and Pro tools and for some reason this just didn't compute. Thanks for the insight

Macbook Pro 8gb RAM 2.66ghz i7 nvidia geforce 330m
Final Cut Studio Adobe MC CS5 Logic Studio

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]