FORUMS: list search recent posts

log and transfer

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jody santos
log and transfer
on Oct 12, 2010 at 3:21:18 pm

Hi, everyone.

I'm a journalism professor at Springfield College. My students are working on Final Cut Pro and having problems with log and transfer. We are using AVCCams, and Final Cut allows them to log and transfer only half their clips. Then it stops and won't let them log anymore. When we quit log and transfer and Final Cut, relaunch, and try and log and transfer those clips again, Final Cut won't let us click on those clips. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,

Jody Santos

Return to posts index

Gregory Bracco
Re: log and transfer
on Oct 12, 2010 at 6:20:05 pm

What cams are you using, is the codec AVCHD? What setting is the quality? How much space available on the macs. What kind of macs are you using.
Greg

Return to posts index

jody santos
on Oct 12, 2010 at 7:23:44 pm

Hi, Greg.

The codec is AVCHD, and the camera is a Panasonic. I believe the quality is standard HD video. We don't have a lot of space on the Macs, but the students are saving to external hard drives with at least one terabyte of memory. The Macs are 30-inch and HD. It seems like Final Cut does log and transfer the clips, but then those clips (or at least half of them) don't show up in the project. The reason I say this is because when we try to log and transfer the clips again, we can't click on them, as if they've already been transferred. It usually stops logging and transferring at clip 30 or so.

Thanks again!

Jody

Return to posts index

Gregory Bracco
on Oct 12, 2010 at 7:47:26 pm

This is what I would try, here at Suffolk Community College we use JVC Everio hard drive cams with iMacs. But we capture to the internal drive and have no problem, how long are the clips the students are capturing? If they are large it seems like the external drives cannot keep up with writing the info. (HD has a lot of data.)
Transfer to the internal drive if you can, then copy to the external drive the .mov files that result. Or transfer just a few clips at a time to the external. We have 750gig hard drives on iMacs and have no problems.
Also we found that the students were using the battery power to transfer after shooting, the batteries were used up and transfering crashed. Hey you can contact me vie email if you want. GBracco@mac.com
Greg

Return to posts index

Jamil Aziz
on Oct 17, 2010 at 8:33:03 am

Hi i am fairly new to FCP and would like some help!

I can successfully capture all my DV footage into FCP and then split into clips based on there timecode stamp.

When i add them clips into the timeline and try to add a transition or cross dissolve it doesnt show this dissolve effect in the playback, its just a jump from one clip to the other.

I understand the problem is with the 'handles setting' ie i need to overlap the clips in the timeline to add a transition.

Is there a way of setting IN and OUT handle settings say 5 secs in and 5 secs out...then apply this to all clips?

When i use to use pinnacle liquid i could set the handle parameter or 'leeway' for clips before capture and when capture started all the clips would come into the timeline, already with the IN and OUT markers, so all i would do is add the transistions between clips.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Jamil

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]