Sony Vegas Features in FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sascha Engel
Sony Vegas Features in FCP
on Oct 11, 2010 at 10:20:52 pm

Hmm, a little topic off the line:
Today, I worked with somebody, who showed me on his machine SonyVegas:
I was quiet surprised, there were a lot of features that are so much better than in FCP. Most of all the sound editing option, but that is ok, since VVegas was a sound program in the first place.

But there are many other things that I sooo wish FCP developers would integrate as well into FCP:

1. Every single Track can have it's on banks for effects, independantly from the clips, meaning you can still apply FX and Motion Tab features to each clip, but also to a whole track, so every clip on it is influenced. Very smart.

2. You can switch the timeline to BPM, instead of seconds, which is AMAZING, specially when editing Video Clips, so you are also not bound that you can just move the clip 1/25 sec as smallest unit.

3. You can mix Video and audio tracks meaning, they are not seperated you can put them in whatever way you want.

4. And the most amazing thing of all: A Brilliant masking tool, just like in After Effects!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I always wished that FCP finally would get this into its software.

ANYBODY HAS ANY IDEA, why NONE of those incredible handy features never found a way into FCP????
If a developer of Apple reads this - PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!! Do something about it.
I think Apple would make thousands of FCP users very happy.

Just a thought - shared before hitting the matrace.
Laila Tov.

Sascha Engel

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Sony Vegas Features in FCP
on Oct 11, 2010 at 10:52:07 pm

[Sascha Engel] "ANYBODY HAS ANY IDEA, why NONE of those incredible handy features never found a way into FCP????"

There are features from other applications that are great too, that also didn't find it into FCP. And features in FCP that didn't show up in Vegas, or other editing applications. Because not all editing applications are the same. If they were, why would you bother to have multiple editing apps? Each has their own strengths and weaknesses. Also, because one app impliments the tool, and then has a copyright, or something, to that tool. If FCP did it...OOP! Copyright infringment...or whatever that was.

Why not just use Vegas if it has all these cool features? It has a ton more that makes it a cool app...

[Sascha Engel] "If a developer of Apple reads this - PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!! Do something about it."

I doubt they do. They are busy working on the application that everyone seems to think that Apple is not working very hard on. Or they are all working on the iPhone, or iPad and not working on FCP as everyone thinks they are doing. Would you rather they troll forums, or work on FCP? You can always submit feedback...that is what they look at: http://www.apple.com/feedback/finalcutpro.html

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Oct 11, 2010 at 11:20:24 pm

[Shane Ross] "
Why not just use Vegas if it has all these cool features? It has a ton more that makes it a cool app..."

Vegas is actually a very good editing app. Davinci Resolve actually borrows features from Vegas.

Yep, agree, waiting for Apple to implement your "favorite features from other NLE's" is just wishful thinking. If Vegas has all the features you want, then switch. Or switch to Avid, Premiere, Quantel or whatever else works for you.

That's the beauty of all NLE's, pretty much all your infrastructure for one will work with any others. Except Vegas which requires Windows to operate.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" Winner, Best Documentary, LA Reel Film Festival...

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Oct 11, 2010 at 11:52:05 pm

Well. Sorry, i did not want to step on anybodys toe here. I'm not dissing FCP in any way. I started editing on Premiere, then switched to FCP and I use it since 10 years together with AE. Because I like it, I do not wanna switch, specially not to PC. I just wondered why they skipped on so major improvements. Keyframed masks for example would be really a necessary one- I don't think Sony Vegas has a copyright on keyframed masks.
But thanx for the tip, I will write it to Apple's feedback site.

Sascha

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Oct 12, 2010 at 12:12:27 am

[Sascha Engel] "I just wondered why they skipped on so major improvements. Keyframed masks for example would be really a necessary one- I don't think Sony Vegas has a copyright on keyframed masks.
But thanx for the tip, I will write it to Apple's feedback site."

It's not so much a "major improvement." As you say keyframed masks have been around for quite some time. Long before FCP and Vegas, After Effects was keyframing masks.

It's just a question of what does Apple feel needs to go into the app and what is better served by other apps, like Motion. As Shane suggests, forward your request to the feedback page.

There's a lot of features dealing with tapeless workflow that I would like to see in FCP long before keyframed masks though. That's what I'm waiting to see. The next version of FCP will be the one that makes me determine whether to stay with the platform or switch off to Premiere or Avid.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" Winner, Best Documentary, LA Reel Film Festival...

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Oct 12, 2010 at 6:38:37 am

WOw, that sounds like a make or break stage in a relationship, Walter.
If I may ask, what features are those, that will make you stay or leave?

Sascha

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 12, 2010 at 6:57:20 am

Many of the audio features that you talk about are not necessary in an edit or video finalising program. Most audio is done in other DAW software like Fairlight, ProTools or Sound Track Pro by experienced sound editors with big FX libraries and proper monitoring, typically absent from edit suites.

As you say, Vegas started as an audio editing system and grew video functionality. For me it is a pain because what happens in Vegas usually has to stay in Vegas as moving timelines and media to other systems like FCP or Fairlight is not simple. As a facility that is on the receiving end of edits to grade/online and sound post, I am comfortable with FCP, AVID and looking forward to the latest Premier Pro as a source to see if they have AAF/OMF and XML functionality working.

So far I have had one project that started on Vegas and the editor moved to FCP and started again. If you are doing corporate or web work or straight to DVD and serious sound post and grading is not required, then I would recommend Vegas as a better in house all in one system.

Return to posts index

David Cooke
on Oct 12, 2010 at 3:57:14 pm

This is actually in response to Walter Biscardi's response about Avid in answering the Sony Vegas features.
You all are correct, every edit system is a bit different, some features others don't have, but I must
discuss AVID. Avid is LOOSING customers left and right! 3 quick examples. #1- Printed in this month's
Television broadcast- major arm of ABC network quoted as saying the "first thing we had to do was
get rid of Avid. They went with FCP. This arm controls all the ABC shows going to all the mobile platforms, streaming services, etc. Our company that owns 46 stations has said they are replacing
all Avid equipment as fast as they can afford. Another major broadcasting firm owning over 26 stations
has dropped ALL their AVID maintenance contracts corporate wide. And a local station in my market,
just put in all new AVID install. After 1 week of Avid people there to help, they have had MAJOR problems.
Bottom line, yes I have numerous things I'd like to see FCP add to their next version, but for now, heads
and shoulders above most all other NLE's especially for the price and NO down time.

D's Video

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]