FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multi-Ciip Dropped Frames on Edit - Tried everything

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Travis Marshall
Multi-Ciip Dropped Frames on Edit - Tried everything
on Oct 11, 2010 at 8:44:25 pm

I'm editing a multi-cam show show in DVCPRO-HD 720. I ingested footage through my Kona LHe as DVCPRO-HD 720P 29.97 using a modified VFR Kona capture setting specified by AJA support.

I'm editing on an 8TB G-Speed esPro RAID 0 configuration, which is connected via miniSAS to my machine, which is a Mac Pro 3GHz Quad Core Xeon with 6GB Ram. This setup SHOULD be plenty fast to play back 4 streams of DVCPRO-HD, as each stream is ~8MB/sec.

Yet when I'm playing back the multi-clip (which does play) and then click one of the angles to make a cut to that angle in my sequence, I get a dropped frames error.

I'm using SafeRT with dynamic playback quality and full frame-rate playback in my settings.

I've trashed the prefs, upgraded drivers for my G-Speed esPro which, according to the AJA System Test app, is functioning at the correct speed (a 4GB test write averaged 478.4 MB/sec and read 435.7 MB/sec).

Ever since I upgraded this machine to Snow Leopard a month ago it's been giving me fits, and I'm about a hair away from CC Cloning the system and doing a clean install of 10.6 and FCP 7.

I throw myself at the mercy of the Cow. Thanks for any responses!

Return to posts index

Patrice Freymond
Re: Multi-Ciip Dropped Frames on Edit - Tried everything
on Oct 11, 2010 at 9:51:58 pm

Set your RT as Unlimited, Dynamic (quality), Dynamic (frame rate), and make sure Multiclip playback is selected too.

hope this helps

Patrice Freymond

Senior editor
FCP Certified Trainer

patrice@monteur.tv

Return to posts index

Travis Marshall
on Oct 12, 2010 at 2:19:37 pm

So you recommend selecting Dynamic Frame rate? I've always been a little wary of that option, since I want to see what I'm eventually going to be mastering to tape. I know you select different settings for Record Quality, but I'm still a little antsy about the dynamic frame rate.

Are my worries totally unfounded? Much smarter brains around here probably know. Any ideas?

I'd LOVE to save myself the half day of re-installing the system, FCS, CS4, etc etc etc.

Mac Pro 2.66ghz, OSX 10.4.8, FCP 5.1.2

Return to posts index

Travis Marshall
on Oct 12, 2010 at 2:52:29 pm

Moot point. Selected dynamic frame rate and still got the dropped frames error. I guess it's time to wipe...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 11, 2010 at 9:54:29 pm

[Travis Marshall] "I'm about a hair away from CC Cloning the system and doing a clean install of 10.6 and FCP 7."

Do it. Make sure you do all the updates, too. Happiness ensues.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Travis Marshall
on Oct 13, 2010 at 6:27:33 pm

Well, you were right, Dave.

I bit the bullet, backed up everything and started with a reformatted boot drive, re-installed everything and it works like a charm.

Sometimes trashing the prefs just doesn't do it, I guess.

Thanks all for the help!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 13, 2010 at 6:39:51 pm

Glad it worked. It's the common wisdom, recommended by all the really good FCP people around here. It takes more time, but it works.

I'm going to be fighting the upgrade / clean install battle myself at work. The members of the station's engineering staff who will do the upgrades are Windows guys, tending to ignore what we Mac folks say.

I foresee great trouble....

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]