FORUMS: list search recent posts

Will a certain camcorder work with FCP?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Tamou
Will a certain camcorder work with FCP?
on Oct 11, 2010 at 7:16:32 pm

I called B&H to order the Sony HXR-NX5U NXCAM Camcorder and the Sony HDR-AX2000 AVCHD Camcorder. The guy on the phone with me told me that these camcorders will not work with FCP cause they shoot in the AVCHD format. I'm confused cause I have a Sony HDR-XR550V Consumer Camcorder and it shoots in AVCHD and it works with FCP. So, ofcourse I stopped my order until I got further infromation. I called Apple and they told me that these camcorders are not on the supported list. I'm thinking that the list is not up to date. All of these camcorders came out earlier this year. Does anyone here know if these camcorders work with FCP with out using a third party application. By the way, I am using Final Cut Studio 7.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Will a certain camcorder work with FCP?
on Oct 11, 2010 at 7:35:15 pm

[Steve Tamou] "The guy on the phone with me told me that these camcorders will not work with FCP cause they shoot in the AVCHD format"

That guy is completely wrong. Doesn't know jacksh$&! The AVCHD format works with FCP...has for years. Since FCP 6.0.2 at least.

I have worked with the NX5 footage. There were issues at first (Sony changed the AVCHD format to a NEW spec...lovely), but now with the latest FCP 7.0.3, it is fully compatible.

[Steve Tamou] " I'm confused cause I have a Sony HDR-XR550V Consumer Camcorder and it shoots in AVCHD and it works with FCP."

Did you tell the jackhole on the phone that fact? It would be good for him to know. Get his name? I'd call B&H and tell them they need to school that dork about what is and what ISN'T compatible.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Steve Tamou
on Oct 11, 2010 at 7:55:09 pm

Thank You Shane. I don't remember the guys name. But thats to bad that they have misinformation. Now I feel hesitant to ask those guys for advice. Maybe one of those guys read this thread. Maybe their boss. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 11, 2010 at 7:58:31 pm

Shane-

Tell us how you really feel.....:)

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 11, 2010 at 8:01:04 pm

Salespeople who pass out misinformation are lazy hacks. One of the MAIN thing a salesperson needs to do is KNOW things about what they are selling. Tough when you have a catalog as large as B&H's though. Now that I think of that, I might be more lenient.

Only if he said "I'm not sure..." But to outright say "Nope, doesn't work." Farking asshat...

Shane

Return to posts index

Brian Dillon
on Dec 16, 2010 at 5:26:15 pm

Hi Shane,
I am new to this site, so please forgive me if I have not conformed to proper protocol. I have a very similar issue as the one you posted about. I am ready to pull the trigger on a HD upgrade to Mac Pro with current version of FCP. I am leaning heavily towards the Sony HDR FX7 HD camcorder, but I can not find any confirmation that FCP communicates with it. I currently shoot with the DCR-VX 2100, so this is a natural transition for me; mostly all the controls are identical, and I think even the batteries match up. Anyway, any insight would be greatly appreciated. As well, do you think an 8-Core Mac Pro is overkill, or would I be better to save a grand and go with the Quad Core Mac Pro, dedicating some of my savings toward more RAM?

Many Thanks,
Brian

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 16, 2010 at 8:16:25 pm

[Brian Dillon] "I am leaning heavily towards the Sony HDR FX7 HD camcorder, but I can not find any confirmation that FCP communicates with it."

It's a standard HDV camera. It should work fine. FCP has been working with HDV for YEARS now.

[Brian Dillon] "Anyway, any insight would be greatly appreciated."

I hate HDV with a passion...and refuse to recommend it to anyone. AVCHD is far superior. HMC150 would be my camera of choice. HDV is the lowest quality HD out there. And can be a pain to work with.

[Brian Dillon] "As well, do you think an 8-Core Mac Pro is overkill, or would I be better to save a grand and go with the Quad Core Mac Pro, dedicating some of my savings toward more RAM?"

Depends. How fast do you want to COMPRESS when you are done? Multiple cores have ZERO bearing on FCP and Motion and the like. Zero difference between quad and octo cores. But when you utilize Compressor to use all of them, you see dramatic increase.

Shane

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]