FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pal dv output workflow

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Smith
Pal dv output workflow
on Oct 11, 2010 at 11:52:32 am

Hi, I hope someone can help.

I've edited together a piece composed entirely of commercial DVD footage (it's an art film). Because I'm in PAL-land and all of the ripped VOBs were converted into DV-PAL, I'm wondering how I should do my final output/render. All clips have been rescaled on the timeline to fit into the PAL dv anamorphic, 1024x576 sequence settings. Therefore, I'd like to render in uncompressed - EXCEPT that uncompressed is upper-field dominant and my DV-PAL is lower. What's my best option? The end result will be a Quicktime for projection (not broadcast or DVD)

Thanks a lot

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Pal dv output workflow
on Oct 11, 2010 at 1:15:58 pm

Is it small enough that you can go back and rip the PAL dv to upper fields? Then replace media?

Pal is upper fields isn't it? (I'm in NTSC Land)

You could use DV50 instead. That has the better color space and really anything more is wasted on ripped DVD footage, unless you have a TON of grfx...

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta

Return to posts index

Paul Smith
on Oct 11, 2010 at 1:18:41 pm

Unfortunately I have to work pal-dv, which is the only pal codec that's lower field first. The vobs were converted using mpeg streamclip

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Oct 11, 2010 at 1:23:12 pm

Ya, we use mpeg streamclip to rip dvd's too. You have the option of upper or lower fields when u rip. You can make ur own presets.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 12, 2010 at 12:46:38 am

Better choice would have been to rip to ProRes and avoid DV. As it is the only PAL lower field codec it creates problems just like this.

If I have to online and grade DV footage, I make sure the final timeline is Uncompressed 10 bit or ProRes 422. If you copy the DV edit sequence into a new sequence with those settings, FCP should automatically apply a shift fields filter. This will fix field order problems unless you have a slo mo shot. To fix that, go back to the Dv sequence and make quicktime movies of the speed changed shots and replace them in the Uncompressed sequence with these reference movies. Make sure the shift fields filter is on the new quicktimes and it should all play correctly. Export a quicktime movie with current settings from this timeline and you have a correct finished product with the right field order and by rendering in uncompressed or ProRes, all your text, graphics and color grades will look as good as SD.

btw, the correct settings should be 720 x 576 anamorphic for PAL.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]