FORUMS: list search recent posts

A Question from a FCP Beginner

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Helena Tso
A Question from a FCP Beginner
on Oct 10, 2010 at 6:35:58 pm

I'm doing a film project for school and am using Final Cut Pro for the first time.
Our projects are to be submitted on DVD which is to include the FCP project file and all capture files as well.
When opening the DVD onto a new computer system, all of the clips in my FCP project file say "Media Offline".
This may be a stupid question, but is it possible to open a project file from a DVD without having to export all of the capture files onto the new hard-drive and then resetting the scratch disk?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: A Question from a FCP Beginner
on Oct 10, 2010 at 9:38:39 pm

A DVD will not be large enough to hold the project file AND the captured media. 15 min of DV and HDV take up a full DVD. Won't work. Are you sure the teachers wanted the CAPTURED media on a DVD? They should know better than to expect that.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Helena Tso
on Oct 10, 2010 at 9:55:59 pm

Yeah, it's a very small project. The footage we shot is only a minute long.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 11, 2010 at 12:49:46 am

OK...so the project with the media...how big are those files? Altogether? If they fit on the DVD...good. But then when the teacher gets them, they need to copy OFF of the DVD in order to really access them.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 10, 2010 at 10:22:41 pm

If it all fits, then the FCP project is looking for files on your original scratch drive. I presume you simply copied the media and the project files using finder, rather than using Media Manager to copy.

You can relink the FCP project to the media on the DVD but you can't save the project as it is on a non writable format so you will have to do it every time.

Try using Media Manager to copy to DVDRom. Also the project might struggle to run off DVD

Return to posts index

Helena Tso
on Oct 10, 2010 at 11:03:44 pm

ok I will try that, thank you!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 11, 2010 at 2:51:37 am

It won't work off the DVD so Media Manager is moot. It's the teacher's responsibility to know to copy the media to their own system and relink.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 11, 2010 at 10:43:48 am

I think this is a great exercise for beginner.
How to pack all the stuff to rebuild the project and don't get scared
next time they'll see "media not found".
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Oct 11, 2010 at 1:22:18 pm

The teacher probably wants all proj. & media files as proof that they edited the final vid. themselves and did not lift/borrow/steal a finished/edited piece?

That or they can critique the work in detail as it pertains to procedures. May not be to edit and work with off the Disc.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]