FORUMS: list search recent posts

Another HD to SD problem, AARGH

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Meador
Another HD to SD problem, AARGH
on Oct 8, 2010 at 3:05:23 pm

I have edited my video in HD in FCP and now must provide a .avi to the broadcaster in 640x480.

Only details the station gave me was they need a .av in 640x480

When attempting to export out of FCP or compressor I am unable to get my HD footage exported out in 640x480 letter boxed in .avi format. A work around I have done to this point is export a non-compressed .mov at 640x480 letterboxed, take that into compressor and export my .avi from here. However my problem here in lies that once this is exported the compressor causes nasty interlacing in several of my shots. However if I export using no compression my footage is perfect ratio, perfect quality and no interlacing issues, but i end up with a 500mb file that i have to provide over the web. I am curretnly uploading a .zip version of this just in case it will work for them. I have a feeling though they will tell me the file is to large.

If I attempt to export my footage straight from FCP/Compressor into .avi i can not control my aspect ratios. I can either tell it ntsc or 4:3 or 16:9 and i end up with either squished footage or odd ratios that the station can't use.

The other option that i am also trying is using compressors built in deinterlace filter in export. I have never used this before and have no idea about what my results will be. So far it has been working on the 30sec. clip for about 45min.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I have to get this file to production ASAP and I am about to rip my hair out.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Another HD to SD problem, AARGH
on Oct 8, 2010 at 3:46:05 pm

[Mike Meador] "If I attempt to export my footage straight from FCP/Compressor into .avi i can not control my aspect ratios. I can either tell it ntsc or 4:3 or 16:9 and i end up with either squished footage or odd ratios that the station can't use"
The default pixels aspect for that size is Square.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Mike Meador
on Oct 8, 2010 at 3:54:27 pm

I never even get the option to customize pixel aspect. It defaults it.

In Compressor I am using File Format "QuickTime Export Components" Encoder Type "AVI" and any options to edit dimensions are locked.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 8, 2010 at 4:18:01 pm

With the Apple Components you can not change the geometry, just crop.
You need to import to Compressor a clip with those settings already.

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Mike Meador
on Oct 8, 2010 at 4:45:46 pm

If I export directly out of FCP with Apple components I end up with a file with no interlacing issues (at least not major ones) but with video in odd display ratios. If I take a uncompressed file the correct display ratio into Compressor and then export it i end up with major interlacing issues... Any suggestion on how to avoid this?

Return to posts index

Seth Blaustein
on Jun 7, 2011 at 5:56:37 pm

I am having an issue with this. My export from FCP is 1920 x 1080, but in compressor, when attempting to output MPEG-2 (DVD-90 minute best quality) the dimensions in the geometry tab are locked into 720 x 480. Nothing is cropped in the Preview monitor in compressor, however I am getting cropped a bit on either side when the final DVD is viewed. I've check all the DVDSP settings and they are all correct.

I think that my issue may lie with the geometry tab in compressor, but why can't I change the geometry, or why won't it recognize that it is NOT 720 x 480??

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 7, 2011 at 6:25:59 pm

[Seth Blaustein] "Nothing is cropped in the Preview monitor in compressor, however I am getting cropped a bit on either side when the final DVD is viewed."

How are you viewing the DVD? Are the edges that are being cropped outside the safe area [link], therefore possible to be cropped by overscan on the display?

[Seth Blaustein] "I think that my issue may lie with the geometry tab in compressor, but why can't I change the geometry, or why won't it recognize that it is NOT 720 x 480?"

NTSC DVDs must be 720x480. If your footage is 16:9, it will still be 720x480, but it will be anamorphic [link].

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 8, 2010 at 3:54:41 pm

Instead of a zip file, try a free FTP service like yousendit.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Oct 8, 2010 at 4:45:39 pm

I would actually try MPEG Streamclip. It can export AVI movies and you can choose 640 x 480 as a default size. And it's free.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production and Post
Owner/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 8, 2010 at 6:15:08 pm

[Mike Meador] "I have edited my video in HD in FCP and now must provide a .avi to the broadcaster in 640x480. Only details the station gave me was they need a .av in 640x480"

AVI is a container format, like MOV. They ought to specify a codec as well.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]