FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mac can't play or edit Final Cut files?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wilmar Luna
Mac can't play or edit Final Cut files?
on Oct 7, 2010 at 9:26:16 pm

Hi guys,

I'm having a technical issue with some clips I received from a client who wants a green screen done for them. They sent me some .mov files that won't seem to play on my MAC or PC. I need to chroma key a green screen background in After Effects but the file won't open in any of my Adobe programs!

According to Inspector the file format is:

DVCPRO HD 720p60, 1248 x 702

I am running on MAC, a macbook pro with Adobe CS4 installed and on PC Adobe CS3 Win7.

I can't open the file with After Effects or Premiere pro, but I can hear the audio coming through the clip.

This leads me to assume I'm missing a codec of some sort. From speaking to the director it sounds like they captured it with Final Cut, but I do not own any Final Cut software.

Do any of you have any tips on what I can do to solve this dilemma without having to pay 1,000 dollars for a program. Any codecs I can download that will allow me to read the file? Does Adobe CS5 has this problem too?

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Mac can't play or edit Final Cut files?
on Oct 7, 2010 at 9:42:04 pm

That's just the DVCPro HD codec. Nothing to do with Final Cut Pro. I would ask in the Adobe Premiere forum why you can't open the clip. I thought DVCPro HD was supported there.

Apple does not have its own variation of the Panasonic codec.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" Winner, Best Documentary, LA Reel Film Festival...

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Wilmar Luna
on Oct 7, 2010 at 9:53:13 pm

Thanks Walter, I thought something was up with the encoding. I'll check over at the Premiere Pro forum and see what's going on.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 8, 2010 at 12:45:39 am

If captured with FCP, you need FCP in order to view that DVCPRO HD file. Or...

#48 - Cannot view DVCPRO HD or HDV or ProRes on my computer.

Shane's Stock Answer #48 - Cannot view DVCPRO HD, HDV or ProRes QT files on your computer.

The DVCPRO HD, HDV and ProRes codecs only comes with FCP. If your computer does not have FCP installed, it cannot view these quicktime files. It doesn't matter if it is a Mac or PC, without FCP installed, you cannot view these files.

If you need to view ProRes material, you can download the ProRes decoder (mac and windows compatible) for ProRes

http://support.apple.com/downloads/Apple_ProRes_QuickTime_Decoder_1_0_for_W....

http://support.apple.com/downloads/Apple_ProRes_QuickTime_Decoder_1_0_for_M...

If your footage was captured as DVCRO HD you can buy the Calibrated DVCPRO HD decoder:

http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/QDVCProHD.asp

HDV, XDCAM? Calibrated has you covered too:

http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/QXD.asp

If you have MXF files from a P2 camera and you need to view the footage on a computer without FCP, you can download P2CMS from Panasonic:

http://www.panasonic.com/business/provideo/p2-hd/downloads-and-updates.asp

Or you need the other party to compress the footage into a format your computer can play, like H.264.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Wilmar Luna
on Oct 12, 2010 at 4:40:58 am

Shane this is EXACTLY what I thought was going on, I'm glad someone finally confirmed for me.

Yes, from what they told me they couldn't view the .mxf files in Final Cut, so they converted it into an Apple Pro res file so that they could view it in Final Cut. When they tried to send me the file I just couldn't open it with anything, and I just KNEW it had something to do with Final Cut.

I had a feeling I'd have to fork out some cash to download the appropriate plugins. Unfortunately, I'm doing this as a favor to the client, but I will link them to the websites you've sent me. Thanks a lot for this!

Wilmar

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Oct 11, 2010 at 11:13:41 pm

The frame size seems a little odd to me, but maybe that's the inspector seeing through Panasonic's pixel stretching.

Anyway, Premiere Pro does support native MXF (panasonic P2). If it's a weird codec or perhaps missing, the best thing to try is import the clip (cmd-I) into the project and then drag it to the new item button. this will make it like FCP which will automatically create a sequence based on the clip properties. If that doesn't play, then there's either something wrong with the file or the codec is missing.

Return to posts index

Wilmar Luna
on Oct 12, 2010 at 4:44:25 am

Dennis,

To be honest a lot of the files seem very strange to me including the screen size as you mentioned. When the editor showed me a shot of the RAW .mxf footage, it was only 9MB large and only one file that was 1.34 GB. The file sizes, with the exception of the 1.34 GB, just doesn't sound right to me. Unless the files are really low resolution or extremely short, why would they be so small?

So something is definitely not adding up, but not having seen how they captured the footage I'm not exactly sure what's going on.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Oct 12, 2010 at 10:17:52 am

Without having the files, I'm just guessing. My main point was that Premiere Pro should be able to play it without difficulty.

The 9MB file may be a QT reference file unless it is an .mxf.

good luck regardless!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]