FORUMS: list search recent posts

Qmaster? distributing rendering across multiple macs on a network

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Cooney
Qmaster? distributing rendering across multiple macs on a network
on Oct 5, 2010 at 7:05:27 pm

has any one done this successfully? I keep hearing it is possible but in all the forums I've seen, no one actually has done it successfully.

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
Re: Qmaster? distributing rendering across multiple macs on a network
on Oct 5, 2010 at 7:20:15 pm

I distribute renders to the 15 Macs on our network all the time.

Return to posts index

Loic de Lame
on Oct 5, 2010 at 7:20:34 pm

Hello!

Yes, I've gotten it to work and have used it many, many times. Of course, as I'm sure you have discovered, there are a lot of little tricks.

I've been planning on putting together a tutorial for this and this seems like a good kick in the butt to start!

I will keep this post updated with results.

~ Loïc

Return to posts index

Brad Bussé
on Oct 5, 2010 at 7:38:39 pm

Does QMaster still have ISSUES? Even when setting the cores to half of on a local computer, I found that QMaster was pretty much horrible, buggy and always froze up even on just one multicore machine. It was okay when it worked as it should.

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Oct 5, 2010 at 7:22:46 pm

ok.. cough it up gents! lol. how do you do it!? Can't wait for the tutorial.. will that be ready by say....6pm today EST? :-)

Return to posts index

Loic de Lame
on Oct 5, 2010 at 7:26:31 pm

*Cross fingers* If I'm quick enough. I'll start with a PDF tutorial, just to make it quick.

~ Loïc

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Oct 5, 2010 at 7:47:36 pm

awesome. standing by...:-)

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
on Oct 5, 2010 at 8:43:29 pm

Here's the site from my bookmarks that got me going.

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
on Oct 5, 2010 at 8:44:13 pm

http://visionstudios.ca/RenderFarm/RenderFarmleft.html

Return to posts index

Loic de Lame
on Oct 5, 2010 at 10:28:04 pm

A little past 6, but still in the ballpark....;~)

Just keep in mind that this was done very quickly and I made it as thorough as possible. Feel free to get in touch with me and I will try to answer any questions I can. Hopefully this helps.

Also, if anyone spots errors or something I've missed or would be helpful, don't hesitate to write it up!

Setting Up Apple Qmaster

Enjoy and please post feedback.

~ Loïc

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Oct 5, 2010 at 10:46:53 pm

thanks

Return to posts index

Andrew Jenter
on Dec 29, 2010 at 6:51:41 pm

Hello,
I'm coming across this thread now and think that PDF you created is great! I was wondering if you've come across a different issue...or if it's an issue at all. I've connected 5 MacPros on our local network here and set up a cluster to use upwards of 100 "cores". I supbmitted a job that was converting an 80 minute quicktime to ProRes LT (a very labor intensive task). While watching the Batch Monitor, I see that it compressed in about 15 minutes but then took another 25 minutes just to piece everything back together. Is it normal for things to take that long to piece together or is there anything I can do to speed that up?
Thanks!
-Andrew

Return to posts index

Loic de Lame
on Dec 29, 2010 at 7:36:46 pm

Hello!

Glad to hear that the guide was of help!

I haven't dealt with intensive codec compressions like that myself, but I have seen some similar things in qmaster where the job is finished and then it assembles all the pieces together.

There may be a few reasons for this.

The first thing is obviously your network. If it's at minimum gigabit, then it should work fairly well and be similar in speed to an external FW800 drive. If it's megabit, you can work with that, but of course it will take longer to transfer files over the wire.

Another thing is your cluster controller and how it's setup with regards to the hard drives. From my experiences and understanding of Qmaster, the cluster controller gets all of the pieces and puts them together before transferring the final file to the final destination.

What this means is that if you have your cluster storage setup on a single hard drive, your hard drive is working pretty hard to gather all the pieces at the same time and writing everything at once from multiple sources. The other thing is that the size of the resulting file can be a major factor in this situation because your hard drive has to move x amount of data to itself.

If you were to have your cluster storage on a RAID array and it were setup so that data could be written to multiple disks at once, you should/would see a performance boost with regards to assimilating the compressed files. I personally haven't had the luxury of working with this setup, but that's the theory.

In my experience, I remember processing two files in separate jobs, but with the same priority. What happened is that once one of the files was completed, it would continue on to the next file, but the cluster was also gathering the segments. So this put a load on the cluster hard drive and slowed everything down. Once the file was assimilated, then everything ran up to snuff again. So it really has to do with, in a way, load balancing and how the data gets moved around

Hope this helps and let me know how it goes. And of course, if you have any other questions.

P.S. I've been experiencing strange things on my side with qmaster not working at all and service nodes dropping their segments just after starting them. One of the "intricacies" of Qmaster.....trying to figure out it's quirks. ;~)

~ Loïc

Return to posts index

Josh Celli
on Aug 3, 2011 at 4:54:02 am

Does each computer need to have Compressor on it, or can one have Qmaster only?

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
on Aug 3, 2011 at 10:43:17 am

Yes, each has to have Compressor installed.

Return to posts index

Danny James
on Oct 15, 2013 at 6:49:26 am

Hi - I tried setting this up.. Running FCPX on an iMac running 10.8 and trying to use my old G5 to help render.. When I start up QMaster it's detecting 2 services running on each Machine but in Quadministrator only the iMac show's the iMac but not the G5 and the G5 shows the G5 but no cluster to choose from.. Don't really want to upgrade the G5 to 10.8 as run Cubase on that which won't run as does not have Rosetta... is there an easier workround?
Cheers
Dan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]