FORUMS: list search recent posts

Limits of "Capture Now"

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tucker Quenette
Limits of "Capture Now"
on Oct 5, 2010 at 4:23:18 pm

Hi all,

Just doing some "Capture Now" and got to wondering how long I could capture before a problem might come up.

The footage is non-essential, but over 2 hours long. I am hoping to prevent any time-code-drift, but would love to know how long is too long for one file

Thanks

t

Return to posts index

Brian Pitt
Re: Limits of "Capture Now"
on Oct 5, 2010 at 4:26:48 pm

I wouldn't use Capture Now for anything. I have had timecode issues...Audio/Video Sync issues...it just isn't good. I always set an in and out point before capturing footage.

Brian

Return to posts index

Tucker Quenette
on Oct 5, 2010 at 4:45:00 pm

Thanks for the response.

In my specific situation, there is no audio, so no sync issues and there is no timecode on the footage, so no in and out points

Return to posts index

matthew bradshaw
on Oct 5, 2010 at 5:25:47 pm

I have routinely used capture now on 90+ minute digibeta captures with tc, audio and no issues.
Matt.

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Oct 5, 2010 at 7:15:25 pm

I only use it on VHS captures and when I get tapes
with broken time code.

never had any issues, just gotta be there to stop it
when its done. (using kona and black-magic capture cards)

Return to posts index

Skip Hall
on Oct 6, 2010 at 2:29:30 pm

I've had better success using Capture Now, and never have any real problems with sync, TC, or anything, unless it's related to dropouts on the tape. On the other hand, whenever we have tried to use Log & Capture, I have encountered problems arising from lack of sufficient handles on the tape... particularly prior to the initial in-point. FCP seems to want 2-3 minutes of unrecorded tape prior to the first in-point, and I usually don't remember to set my tapes up this way prior to a shoot.

But my business is primarily shooting dance recitals with 3 cameras, which we capture and edit using MultiClip, so continuous TC is needed to allow all the tapes to remain in synch. If you are shooting numerous takes of individual scenes, you'd be better off to use in- & out-points, so long as the handles don't become an issue.

Skip Hall
Homeworks Video Productions
Suffolk, Va

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]