FORUMS: list search recent posts

RED to FCP transcoding problem

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Nicholson
RED to FCP transcoding problem
on Oct 4, 2010 at 11:43:50 pm

I'm transcoding RED 4K footage (for the first time) into FCP using the ProRes 422 HQ codec following instructions from the RED Log & Transfer software. It works fine except that the resulting file size of the Quicktime media is 2048x1152 instead of 1920x1080. My IOHD won't play this odd size, and of course, not conforming the timeline upon import so that the timeline stays at HD rez means I'll have to render everything, which seems unnecessary. Anyone have this issue?

Ken Nicholson

Return to posts index

Chad Tingle
Re: RED to FCP transcoding problem
on Oct 5, 2010 at 2:47:16 am

I'm running into this problem as well with a client that do some media managemet for. I just posted a red job in september and didn't have this issue but i think it's because we used the 4K+HD setting to record vs using the 2:1 setting. To be honest I'm not completely sure that it's correct answer but I'm doing some research and I'll let you know as soon as I find out.

Chad Tingle
Producer/Editor

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 5, 2010 at 6:23:45 am

I haven't used L&T for RED footage but I have used RED Rushes which will let you transcode to ProRes in 1920 x 1080 or 2k. I did 2048 x 1080 which worked fine in FCP and was monitoring with my Kona3 card to my 1920 x 1080 monitor.

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on Oct 5, 2010 at 9:27:32 am

Hi Ken,

I would recommend Clipfinder 2.2 for your conversions (2.2 is the free version which will work fine for you). It offers a lot more flexibility than FCP.
http://www.daun.ch/hamingja/

In short, you import your R3D files then go File > Render... and create the setting you wish to use for your clips (i.e. ProRes HQ, 1920x1080 etc), then render everything out.

Clipfider is very similar to RedRushes in what it allows you to do, but is a lot more user friendly and has a few extra features.

All the best,
Alex Elkins

Salad Daze Films - Freshly Tossed
Check out my latest addition to the Creative Cow Reels Section

Return to posts index

Chad Tingle
on Oct 5, 2010 at 2:28:55 pm

Ken,

I saw your post on Red User.net so I suppose my suspicions were correct about shooting 4K+HD vs 4k 16:9 or 2:1. If you're looking for a quick fix I have used the Red Rushes and it batches in a decent amount of time if you have a newer mac pro

Chad Tingle
Producer/Editor

Return to posts index

Ken Nicholson
on Oct 5, 2010 at 3:24:01 pm

Thanks Chad,

The issue is that the footage was shot using 4K:16x9 rather than 4K:HD. FCP has no problem with it, but my Aja IOHD will not play it out or transcode it. I need to send out DVDs with the raw footage so I must either render 2 hours of footage or re-ingest it (correcting it to 1920x1080).

For re-ingest I'm getting responses on the RED Workflow forum that suggest I use either RED Rushes, RED Cine-X or Clipfinder. I have no experience with any of these, so any advice from multiple persons would be helpful. I understand that RED Cine-X will give me the most grading capability, but RED Rushes is much faster. Clipfinder is a third-party app. Why would I want to use that vs. Rushes? Does Cine-X batch process? I've got over a hundred clips to deal with.

Ken Nicholson

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 5, 2010 at 9:03:03 pm

Unless there is a reason to pre grade shots, RED Rushes is quicker to batch convert. I haven't used Clipfinder but if Alex says it is faster and has some better features, then it is worth considering. Batching clips is standard with all as far as I know.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]