FORUMS: list search recent posts

Memory and Cache...FCP Crashing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich Kaelin
Memory and Cache...FCP Crashing
on Oct 4, 2010 at 5:44:26 pm

Does anyone know EXACTLY what the tab under SYSTEM SETTINGS>Memory & Cache does in FCP? Here is my problem: I am editing a huge project, over 10,000 clips and almost 2 hours program length. To make my life easier, I was editing different segments as separate sequences. I got to one sequence and suddenly FCP started crashing A LOT. It had been VERY stable to that point, now crashes randomly all the time, but only in this large project, other projects seem to be fine. My system is an 8 core 3.06 GHZ xeon with 12 Gig RAM, but under FCP's Memory and cache tab the following is displayed:

Memory Usage:
Application-100% (2560MB)
Still Cache-10% (241MB)
Thumbnail Cache:
Disk:8192K
RAM:512K

Where is the rest of the Memory? Seems t be no way to increase FCP access to the memory.

Years ago I had a memory setting problem with After Effects, once I set it all ran fine.

Not sure how RAM is configured in machine, but assume it is all good as it was built by Apple.

Here is info from About this Mac>Hardware Overview:
Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro3,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 3 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per processor): 12 MB
Memory: 12 GB
Bus Speed: 1.6 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MP31.006C.B05
SMC Version (system): 1.25f4

Does anyone have any Idea if it is normal for FCP to use only a portion of memory. I need to figure out why it is crashing on this project. Personally, I think it is a quirk embedded in that one sequence that now effects the whole project, I have had that happen before on other NLEs

Return to posts index

Doug Beal
Re: Memory and Cache...FCP Crashing
on Oct 4, 2010 at 10:09:45 pm

FCP being a 32 bit app can only access 2.5 gig of ram and only use 1 processor at a time, so yes that is normal.
my guess is you have an issue with a still or a clip in the timeline of the particular sequence.
It is possible this issue may have now corrupted your preferences causing general problems in other sequences.
you can find FCP pref manager here
http://www.digitalrebellion.com/pref_man.htm

Doug Beal
Editor / Engineer
Rock Creative Images
Nashville TN

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 5, 2010 at 1:27:36 am

[Doug Beal] "FCP being a 32 bit app can only access 2.5 gig of ram and only use 1 processor at a tim"
can use a bit more RAM that that, and can use 4 cores.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Rich Kaelin
on Oct 5, 2010 at 2:30:35 pm

Really, it is a 32 bit app? I am very disappointed. Bought a smoking machine to run it on, and now I find it may have been a waste. Does the extra power allow me to run other apps simultaneously more effectively? ie, motion, compressor, etc, all at once?

And yes, as I said, I think there is an issue with a clip in the one suspect sequence, crashing seems to have all started there. Otherwise FCP is one of the most stable NLEs I have ever used.

But if anyone knows how to shake Apple's tree (pun intended)...let me know. FCP is missing some very simple and basic features. For all of its extraordinarily advanced features, I am surprised it is missing some of the very basic features I have come to depend on.

Rich Kaelin
Kaelin Motion Production Services
New York

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 5, 2010 at 3:34:06 pm

Hi Rich,
What kind of system maintenance you do to your Mac?
rafael

Return to posts index

Rich Kaelin
on Oct 5, 2010 at 4:02:38 pm

I am not sure what you mean by maintenance... I run ClamXav once in a while and MacScan. After big projects I back up any info I want to save, remove all the files I don't want, footage, etc, and defrag the drives, but that is about it. Is there something else I should be doing?

Rich Kaelin
Kaelin Motion Production Services
New York

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 6, 2010 at 2:03:23 am

Maintenance is maintenance.
Operations to avoid that things deteriorate.
The first basic operation is to Repair Permissions.
The second important routine is keeping clean the directories.
The system use a kind of lists call directories for fast access to the files.
With the normal use the directories get messed and little by little FC lose performance and start to make glitches or even crashes.
Rebuilding those directories make that everything run smooth again.
You can do this with DiskWarrior, TechTools or DriveWizard.
rafael

Return to posts index

Matthew Troyansky
on Oct 18, 2010 at 2:52:35 pm

Rafael

two questions. One, do you repair your CPU hard drive or would you repaire your external hard drive which has all the footage, thumbnail cache files, audio renders, waveform cache, ect...

and two, can you repair your directories on drives that have footage ect, this process wont cause you to lose anything? correct? Thanks.

-Matt

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]