FORUMS: list search recent posts

Batch moving folders with lots of media

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Sarfatty
Batch moving folders with lots of media
on Oct 3, 2010 at 6:23:51 pm

Hey all, have any of you experienced this? You need to copy folders from Drive A to Drive B, and also need to copy folders from Drive B to Drive A or C etc etc. Or need to copy a bunch of folders starting different directories, a LOT.

Copying one folder at a time seems to works, but when you have one thing copying, and then you go to copy the second folder, or third, suddenly the first copy shoots up from an hour to 6, and you can hear the hard drives spinning back and forth in overtime as it tries to do two things at once (and of course, then if you want to edit from the hard drive while this is happening you can't)

And, we have all discovered, it takes 3x as long to copy 3 things at once, as opposed to waiting by the computer and doing them one after there other. For moving 500GB in a day, split across different sources and destinations, this is a horrible waste of time.

SURELY there must be a utility out there that automates this process. I have done a bit of research but haven't found anything out there. I know that there are ways to write command line scripts for the shell, but that is way too nerdy out there. There MUST be a GUI that does this. All I want is an application where I can load a batch of File move and copy commands, set an order for them, that pre-calculates the net free space effect (in the case where I need to move one set of files to make way for another) and can queue up the commands and run them efficiently in the background.

Does anyone know of such a tool? Happy to pay for this tool!! If not, could someone write one? I think you'll have a lot of purchasers from this group!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Batch moving folders with lots of media
on Oct 4, 2010 at 5:10:29 am

Well, either move one and wait for them to finish copying before you do the next one. Or highlight ALL the folders you want to copy at once, and drag them at the same time.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]