FORUMS: list search recent posts

5DMKII footage mixed with VX2000 footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Pope
5DMKII footage mixed with VX2000 footage
on Oct 1, 2010 at 1:46:38 am

Hi,

I'm having a problem with footage I have transcoded from the 5DMK II when I place it into a sequence with footage shoot with a Sony VX2000. I've transcoded the footage from the 5D to NTSC to match that of the VX2000 and the final cut pro sequence. The 5D footage is a medium shot with the subject in the frame talking. The subject was wearing a checked pattern shirt and its giving a weird effect with the transcoded footage, also the subjects eyes are giving a not so sharp appearance.
I tried editing the footage natively in premiere and then exporting it out to dvd and the footage looks great. The only solution that I've found in FCP is to add a deinterlace filter to the footage and set it to FlickerFilter Max. It gets rid of the weird pattern on his shirt and eyes, but it blurs the image a bit.

So my question is..am I doing something wrong here? How do I mix the two different camera footage in a sequence and still get the best possible output?

Any help much appreciated,

Adam

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: 5DMKII footage mixed with VX2000 footage
on Oct 1, 2010 at 3:53:59 am

The problem is transcoding your 5D HD footage to DV. You didn't say how you were doing this but DV is a poor codec, barely acceptable for camera capture and not a wise choice to transcode your 5D footage to.

My first rule of post is to avoid DV codec, especially for your sequence setting. Transcode the 5D footage to Uncompressed NTSC or ProRes and use either an Uncompressed 10 bit or ProRes final sequence to render. It will improve the 5D footage and also any text or graphics. There may even be a slight improvement on the DV footage if you have applied filters and grades.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: 5DMKII footage mixed with VX2000 footage
on Oct 1, 2010 at 4:57:58 am

[Adam Pope] "The subject was wearing a checked pattern shirt"
DSRLs are great to achieve sallow DOF, but they die with geometrical patters.
I would consider to try to fix those shots at full size, then downscale.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]