FORUMS: list search recent posts

One for the rumor mill :-)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Sawchuk
One for the rumor mill :-)
on Sep 30, 2010 at 9:58:21 pm

Just came across this and thought I'd share fwiw:

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/09/30/final-cut-studio-update-scaled-back-and...

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: One for the rumor mill :-)
on Sep 30, 2010 at 10:22:18 pm

Cannot imagine how clunky a single interface for everything would be. How long would it take that application to load?

Personally I would have been shocked if Apple actually released an update to FCP in 2010. I was figuring early to mid 2011 all along as this really will be their make or break version. A lame version of FCP that doesn't keep pace with all the tapeless integration that Adobe and Avid now do on board with no third party plug-ins using MXF is impossible to ignore.

The good news is that if Final Cut Studio 4 (or whatever it's called) is not "awesome" it's easy enough to replace the applications and convert entire facilities over to one of the other A's pretty easily. Right now Apple is king of the hill in terms of user installed base. I have said that this next version will show us how serious Apple is to staying in the professional video industry.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" featuring Sigourney Weaver: Winner, Best Docume...

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 1, 2010 at 12:29:00 am

I'd invite an all in one. I was staring at and day dreaming about Smoke on the Mac today.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bernstein
on Oct 1, 2010 at 7:19:45 am

So let's talk about some of the features that need to be in Final Cut Studio X to meet our expectations...

• Fix ALL gamma problems in QuickTime and FCS once and for all.
• ProRes 4:2:2:4
• Ability to use almost any codec with RT Extreme
• Real Time compositing and effects with 4:x:x:4 material
• RGB workflow @ >8bits, including 10 and 12 bit linear and log with RT Extreme
• More extreme RT Extreme
• Real Media Manager including a SAN integration piece. FCServer... not feeling it.
• Native support for MXF, as in no rewrapping to QT. If you can't do it, license mxf4mac.
• Return the favor with RT support of DNxHD. It's got 4:2:2:4
• Make all effects at least 10-bit capable and label those that are not.
• Fix the scaling artifacts
• True mixing of codecs and resolutions in the same timeline and keep it real time with high quality.
• Active frame rate conversion
• Since there will be bugs, it's inevitable, how about a quicker turnaround for bug fixes and more tech notes for known issues. The head in the sand routine is getting old.
• Tiny chocolates for my pillow

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 1, 2010 at 3:43:19 pm

[Jeff Bernstein] "• More extreme RT Extreme"

Heh heh. Nice one.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Oct 1, 2010 at 4:28:46 pm

Jeff -

Along with those nice chocolates and the increased media support you are looking for, how about fixing some of the ridiculous bugs and limitations in FCP that still make me yearn for NLE's I was using 10 years ago.

How about the ability to mute the top video track without destroying all your renders.

How about the ability to easily and quickly capture and automatically separate clips over time code breaks.

How about the ability to change the amplification of waveforms in the timeline so you can actually use them in soft audio passages.

How about a decent integrated character generator.

How about the ability to use multiple clips in one stream of a multi-clip sequence.

How about the basic ability to map every action to a keyboard command - as opposed to finding that some actions are mouse-click only.

How about intelligent rendering that recognizes when a change to the timeline requires a re-render or when it doesn't. This alone would save me 30 minutes a day of unproductive time. But then again it allow me ample time to check out the cow so I guess it's really a FCP "feature."

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Oct 2, 2010 at 12:17:17 pm

What's funny is many of your requests were handled several years ago by the Pinnacle CineWave including one that isn't on your list. Realtime Chroma Key. As in Real Time Edit To Tape with No Rendering Chroma Key.

Also how about realtime Animation codec with alpha support? Again, realtime edit to tape alpha support.

What this shows me is that we require an additional hardware board to make realtime really real in FCP. Like Resolve leaning on one GPU card exclusively to give you realtime features. Or Avid with proprietary hardware for more realtime effects.

I don't know what Pinnacle did with their board when it was available for FCP, but it had more realtime features than we've ever had since it left. Of course most folks weren't willing to pay for those features so as the market has gone "cheaper faster" for the majority of FCP users, not sure how much of a return on investment there is for making hardware acceleration cards and software.

I'm just very interested to see what Apple says, or doesn't say, what Apple shows, or doesn't show, by NAB 2011. As I've said before, our entire architecture is set up to run any NLE on the Mac platform so it's pretty much as easy as buy the new software and start working with that. That's true for pretty much anyone running FCP and that's one of the beauties of what Apple created for all of us. Non-proprietary hardware that allows us to run any NLE software we choose.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" Winner, Best Documentary, LA Reel Film Festival...

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Oct 2, 2010 at 2:46:06 pm

Walter -

It's really not surprising that the cinewave could do many of these things. I'm an old Discreet Edit*or, and most of those features were available 10 years ago on those systems and the Targa board that was the basis of that system is a variation of the cinewave.

While it's true there are options out there I would rather not have to go thru the learning curve again. Premiere is still the runt of Adobe's litter, little brother to AE and Photoshop, and while it's technically advanced i don't believe their design team is particularly concerned or informed about the needs of broadcast editors. As for AVid, I've been avoiding them for almost 20 years now, but tomorrow never knows.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Paul Dickin
on Oct 1, 2010 at 8:40:13 am

[walter biscardi] "Cannot imagine how clunky a single interface for everything would be."
Hi
But think about it the other way round - a single 'application code' for everything, with appropriately different interfaces for working on differing aspects of the timelined media.

That is what Adobe have been aiming for - no 'round-tripping' of anything ever, its all the same code, working on the same media, in the same place, but just the interface tools change as you switch work-mode...

Buried in the discussion for the MR article is Phil Hodgetts excellent summing up:
http://www.philiphodgetts.com/2010/09/what-should-apple-do-with-final-cut-p...

This is on Apples Web site - a Pro Apps senior interface designer post:
http://jobs.apple.com/index.ajs?BID=1&method=mExternal.showJob&RID=61607

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 1, 2010 at 9:11:23 am

[Paul Dickin] "Buried in the discussion for the MR article is Phil Hodgetts excellent summing up:
http://www.philiphodgetts.com/2010/09/what-should-apple-do-with-final-cut-p....."

Great article.
Everybody around should read it.
Very interesting what he say about the new Premier Pro:

"Adobe seems to have worked around the problem by spinning off a 32 bit thread for QuickTime support so you lose that Mercury Engine goodness".

Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Bernstein
on Oct 1, 2010 at 7:21:34 am

Incidentally, one of the hold ups, I have to imagine, is that QuickTime X is feature incomplete since all those resources have gone into iCrap. Perhaps that's why we don't have USB 3 or an eSATA port or two like the rest of the world.

Return to posts index

Tony Manolikakis
on Oct 1, 2010 at 2:21:41 pm

Unified interface doesn't have to be clunky at all. Common timeline, common media pool (bins), open tabs or rooms as needed - Color-Motion-Soundtrack-DVD(Bluray)- I imagine a iOS APP Builder application may be in there too. Don't care one bit about USB 3.

Tony Manolikakis
Rev13 Films

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Oct 1, 2010 at 6:30:48 pm

From the HardMac article the link in OP references:
"The idea of having a unified interface has been abandoned for the time being because of difficulties in reaching a satisfactory compromise among not only the various applications but above all between different development teams, those working on Shake and those working on Motion."

If the Motion team is arguing w/the empty desks formerly occupied by the Shake team (Shake was EOL'd in '06) I think Apple has bigger problems than we thought. ;)

-Andrew

3.2GHz 8-core, FCP 6.0.4, 10.5.5
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (6.8.1)

Return to posts index

David Johnson
on Oct 2, 2010 at 4:33:54 pm

[Jeff Bernstein ] "Tiny chocolates for my pillow"

[Herb Sevush] "most of those features were available 10 years ago on those systems"

Those two statements seem to have in common that they, in different ways, allude to the days when the companies that made our tools catered to the professional market because we were either their best by far or only customers, neither of which is true any more ... and never was for some companies. So, we may as well forget the tiny chocolates since it increasingly seems that we're lucky if we get the clean sheets otherwise reserved for important customers - the much larger consumer market.

What the _____ is a QuickTime X!? And, considering I still have installers for QuickTime 1-7 archived (please don't ask me why), why is it suddenly so hard to download QuickTime 7 without iTunes?

I basically started on Discreet *Edit after my first brief stint with Avid and also encountered several other systems throughout my career that easily did many things that are still a struggle for the market-leading tools 10-15 years later ... personally, I miss the days when there were companies that focused on the pro market.

Return to posts index

Jay Soriano
on Oct 2, 2010 at 9:00:51 pm

I started with Adobe Premiere in 1997 and what a horrible experience it was in long projects. Seeing that it got recoded and redone as well as hearing all the positive reviews,especially seemless integration with Photoshop and After Effects. I am ready to switch over back to adobe if the time were to come to an end with FCP. But seems FCP is not ready to to bail on us just yet. So FCP is my only editing choice of generating income for now.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Oct 2, 2010 at 9:31:11 pm

[Jay Soriano] "I am ready to switch over back to adobe if the time were to come to an end with FCP. But seems FCP is not ready to to bail on us just yet. So FCP is my only editing choice of generating income for now."

If you are an island unto yourself, like the BBC or a corporate production department, then you can make the switch anytime. If you still work with outside production companies, other freelance editors and such, right now FCP is still king.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" Winner, Best Documentary, LA Reel Film Festival...

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

David Johnson
on Oct 2, 2010 at 11:39:08 pm

My hope for seamless integration with Photoshop and After Effects making it practical to do everything needed with tools from the same developer and suite and, therefore, focus more on the craft than wasting brain space thinking about different interface conventions, etc. is why I always wished Premiere would've matured faster and more steadily. But, it didn't ... and there's no doubt FCP is King now. Like any other, it's got some weaknesses, but it's generally pretty awesome ... and it pays my bills too, which I'm grateful for.

Maybe it's just me, but despite Adobe's failings with Premiere, they seem to have a better track record of not forgetting about their pro market even though they ventured into the consumer market ... am I dreaming to wonder whether there will be a day when Adobe buys the Final Cut suite from Apple and integrates all the best of both suites? Or, did that already happen in the same dream where I saw Steve and Bill ballroom dancing together in their Skivvies?

Just to be clear, I'm not bashing Apple ... Apple rocks ... just think the consumer market success of recent years has hurt the pro market.

Return to posts index

Mark Palmos
on Jan 14, 2011 at 12:14:43 am

I really do hope these are just rumors, usually around this time, every second year, there are release rumors... but its been very quiet on that front.

I had to laugh at this quote from the story that started this thread:

"a report claimed that Apple was looking to transition Final Cut Pro Pro from a strictly professional product to more of a "prosumer" offering, but Apple CEO Steve Jobs dismissed those concerns, stating that the next release of Final Cut Pro "will be awesome" "

hysterical, but sad... hearing that from the king of hyperbole engenders no comfort at all ;)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 14, 2011 at 12:22:37 am

[Mark Palmos] "stating that the next release of Final Cut Pro "will be awesome" ""

Can't wait for Final Cut Awesome!

Return to posts index

Mark Palmos
on Jan 14, 2011 at 12:38:56 am

heh heh, yeah, perhaps its going to "change everything... again"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]