FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDcamHD output to master question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lee Warner
XDcamHD output to master question
on Sep 30, 2010 at 9:02:20 pm

Long time editor, noob at FCP.

I've borrowed a Sony PDW-U1 disk drive to experiment with XDcamHD workflow. I've come up against a couple of head scratchers.

When I sent a test timeline to compressor, the XDcamHD 1080i 59.94 preset is set to 1440X1080 rather than 1920X1080. I can't find a preset that is appropriate. I'm curious as to why that is.

Second question is that once I have outputted my master, what folder should I place the finished file in on the XD disk? I want to be able to put the disk into a PDW-HD1500 deck to play it out.

Lee
SAMDOG Digital Post
Calgary, Alberta
Mac Pro 2.66 12-core 16gb ram • FSI LW1760 Monitor • Matrox MX02 • Caldigit HD One 8tb Raid • Euphonix MC Transport • Adobe Production Premium Bundle

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
Re: XDcamHD output to master question
on Sep 30, 2010 at 9:44:25 pm

I can answer this...

[Lee Warner] "When I sent a test timeline to compressor, the XDcamHD 1080i 59.94 preset is set to 1440X1080 rather than 1920X1080. I can't find a preset that is appropriate. I'm curious as to why that is."

First of all, the setting is correct. XDCAM HD is a form of HDV, so, the both have the frame sizing of 1440x1080. Now, if you are shooting with the new XDCAM HD 422 cameras, you can shoot full raster 1920x1080 video with this series.

[Lee Warner] "Second question is that once I have outputted my master, what folder should I place the finished file in on the XD disk? I want to be able to put the disk into a PDW-HD1500 deck to play it out."

This is simple. You don't. In order for you to output to an XDCAM drive, you have to have installed Sony's XDCAM Transfer software for the Mac and Final Cut Pro. You can get this from Sony's Broadcast website. There is no other way to properly place files on a disc to be played but the PDW-HD1500 deck. Be prepared... The output is rather slow but effective.

Always use the latest versions of software so that you can work efficiently.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://web.mac.com/schazamproductions
schazamproductions@mac.com

Return to posts index

Lee Warner
on Sep 30, 2010 at 9:55:53 pm

Thanks Wayne,

The XDcamHD footage I am testing with is indeed the 4:2:2 format and yet I am not seeing the preset for it.

And regarding the transfer of the master file back to disk....

Are you saying to use the same Sony transfer utility that I used in the first place to transfer the source clips to FCP or is there another program available?

Lee
SAMDOG Digital Post
Calgary, Alberta
Mac Pro 2.66 12-core 16gb ram • FSI LW1760 Monitor • Matrox MX02 • Caldigit HD One 8tb Raid • Euphonix MC Transport • Adobe Production Premium Bundle

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Sep 30, 2010 at 11:11:38 pm

You need the latest version of Sony's XDCAM Transfer software, version 2.12, I believe it is.

As for outputting your timeline, you have go thru the File menu, Export, then Sony XDCAM.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://web.mac.com/schazamproductions
schazamproductions@mac.com

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Oct 1, 2010 at 3:53:58 am

Lee

An easy way to ensure you have the correct sequence settings is just to drag and drop any one of your imported XDCAM HD 422 clips into an empty sequence ... FCP will ask you whether you want the sequence to match the clip and you can answer "Yes". (This is assuming you're not running on an old version of FCP. On that point, its worth noting that native XDCAM HD422 codec support in FCP wasn't added until FCP 6.0.3).

The standard way of setting up your project tho, is to use an FCP "Easy Setup" ... if you go to the Final Cut Pro menu and choose Easy Setup it'll open up the Easy Setup window, change the "Format:" setting to "HD", then scroll down through the list of settings in the "Use:" menu and right down at the bottom you should find the XDCAM HD422 setups. Select the appropriate one and press the Setup button. Then, importantly, create a new Sequence, the original one that was automatically created for you when you created the new project will have had the old settings applied. The new one you create will conform to the new settings you've just selected.

As Wayne notes, when you export back to disc you should use the File menu > Export > Sony XDCAM... and export as MXF. This action conforms your edit to a single unbroken MPEG HD Long GOP structure (which is XDCAM HD's format) and then wraps that conformed file in an MXF container ... and that MXF wraped file is then written directly back to a mounted XDCAM HD disc or to your hard disc (in which case you can later drag and drop it directly to an XDCAM HD disc's CLIP folder, or you could the last time I tried).

The Long GOP conform process is usually the heartbreakingly slow part of the process but the actual write to disc should be fast.

Hope it helps
Andy

Return to posts index

Lee Warner
on Oct 1, 2010 at 4:20:49 am

Andy, thanks for your help.

Everything is starting to fall into place but there were a few gotchas tonight. I realized that I just needed to export directly out of FCP back to the disk drive unit, but for some reason the Sony XD disk drive was only showing up as read only. I realized that I didn't have the latest (v2.3) Sony driver to allow burning to that drive. I eventually found it on the Sony website but then found it would not work in 64 bit mode. I had to boot the MP into 32 bit mode by holding the 2 & 3 keys down, install the driver, export the file onto the disk drive and then reboot back into the default 64 bit mode. I hope Sony gets off their butts and updates their driver to support 64 bit mode.

Lee
SAMDOG Digital Post
Calgary, Alberta

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 1, 2010 at 4:26:40 am

FCP is 32 bit so you should be running Snow Leopard in 32 bit not 64.

Return to posts index

Lee Warner
on Oct 1, 2010 at 12:26:05 pm

Even though the app is 32bit, It appears that FCP will run without issue while the computer is in 64 bit mode. Other than my problem with the driver for the Sony disk drive, I haven't seen any quirkiness with FCP. Why do you say that I should be in 32 bit mode?

Lee
SAMDOG Digital Post
Calgary, Alberta

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]