FORUMS: list search recent posts

Green line displays at bottom of exported prores video

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Crawford Winstead
Green line displays at bottom of exported prores video
on Sep 30, 2010 at 3:08:57 pm

I am working on a project with several individuals who are editing some footage that I captured. The footage I captured was in FCP via a Kona LHi card at 525i 29.97 apple prores 422 from a PVW-2600 beta cam deck. Everything that was captured at this point was fine and there are no artifacts and the "green line" is not anywhere on the original captured footage. However, after I handed the footage off to an editor the end exported product (which is NTSC apple prores422 exported from FCP) has this green line artifact that shows up when being played back on any type of video player... VLC, quicktime, and even in FCP. It only shows up at points where the footage speed was changed (slowed down)... and even then, that is randomly showing up at those slowed down points. In other words, it doesn't show up every time the footage was slowed down, just in certain instances, seemingly random. Now, I know I can take final product and blow it up to 105% size and it's gone in FCPs preview pane, but we would like to avoid that if possible to preserve picture quality.

If anybody has experienced this problem, I could really use some help trying to get rid of this green line at the bottom of our exports. None of the editors I am working nor with nor myself can figure out what is causing this green line to show up at the bottom of our exported quicktimes... It's a strange situation, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Crawford
crawford@lkccreative.com

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Green line displays at bottom of exported prores video
on Sep 30, 2010 at 3:33:13 pm

I cant fix the bug, but you can work around it cropping off the bottom few lines on the speed change clips (just the vertical interval black thats there anyway) in the motion tab, before export.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 30, 2010 at 3:59:43 pm

[Crawford Winstead] "However, after I handed the footage off to an editor the end exported product (which is NTSC apple prores422 exported from FCP) has this green line artifact that shows up when being played back on any type of video player... "

Is it still 720x486?

Return to posts index

Crawford Winstead
on Sep 30, 2010 at 4:09:51 pm

Yes. Now, some of the footage is anamorphic for different use, but it doesn't seem to matter either way it will show up at points where the footage gets slowed down.

I'm not really after a band-aid... I'm really looking for the cause or a solution that wouldn't make me to have to alter the fine cut exports at all... so anything I could do before exporting that would fix the possible glitch or whatever it is... that's ultimately where I need to fix the problem. That is, if it's even possible.

It's a strange one!

Thanks,
Crawford

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 30, 2010 at 4:11:53 pm

So some of the footage is anamorphic and some is straight 4x3?

I have seen the green lines when ProRes is not used at a SMPTE defined frame size.

Return to posts index

Crawford Winstead
on Sep 30, 2010 at 5:04:57 pm

Yes, some is straight 4x3 and some is anamorphic.

That's good to know about the SMPTE frame size...

I'll bring that up to some of the people I'm working with and see what we can figure out.

Is it just ProRes422 stuff that you've seen the green line with, when it's not SMPTE?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 30, 2010 at 5:20:00 pm

[Crawford Winstead] "Is it just ProRes422 stuff that you've seen the green line with, when it's not SMPTE?"

Yes, anything that is a 'rogue' frame size can cause weirdness with ProRes files. It's not totally locked to SMPTE, but basically anything that you can select with a ProRes easy setup is ok, outside of that it might not be. Best to stick with 720x486, 1280x720, 1920x1080 and 2k.

For you, I would quit FCP and trash your render files and constant frames and try again.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]