FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP clips and master lose sync

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dorit grunberger
FCP clips and master lose sync
on Sep 28, 2010 at 8:23:58 pm

Hi everyone.

This is a new problem I've never seen before. My partner and I are working on a project on 2 computers. G5 (FCP 5.1.4 universal) and MacPro (FCP 7.0.3). The footage is SD, NTSC
The rough edits were done on the G5. Transferred the current project to the MacPro, made a copy and opened the copy in FCP 7. Everything is in sync EXCEPT one master capture (about an hour long) and all the edits from that master that are currently in the timeline.
I went back to the G5 and made sure everything there is in sync, and it is.

Any ideas? I'm concerned that restoring sync to the clips in the project on the MacPro might not hold. This fear comes from the following scenario: I brought into FCP 7.0.3 the master capture again and put it in its own sequence. It was out of sync as well. When I make clips, I adjust the sound track to be in sync again, copy the clip and bring it into my project timeline. That seems to hold sync, but when I go back to the master and move ahead to the next place I make a clip from, the master again has lost sync.

Any ideas out there???

I have found a lot of grief working with FCP Studio 3. Lots and lots of bugs and problems.

Hope someone has a good idea (short of manually re-syncing each clip, or doing a fresh install of the system and studio...

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: FCP clips and master lose sync
on Sep 29, 2010 at 1:39:59 pm

Put the master clip's media in another folder so that FCP will report it's "offline".

Recapture that clip in the FCP 7 system.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

DVD:http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

dorit grunberger
on Sep 29, 2010 at 2:27:26 pm

Hi Jerry

I'm not sure I completely understand your suggestion. I understand moving the source .mov out of it's folder and into another folder. Then are you suggesting I launch FCP, and reconnect the media, or are you suggesting I log and capture the full 1 hour tape again?

The one piece of info I neglected to write in my 1st email message is that all the source material is on a Drobo array.

Thanks for your help

Thanks in advance,
Dorit

Return to posts index

dorit grunberger
on Sep 29, 2010 at 3:41:56 pm

Just in case I did understand you correctly. I took the media files out of their capture scratch folder and copied to the desktop. Trashed the media in the original folder and reconnected in FCP to the desktop folder.

Didn't work :-(

Are there any known problems with FCP projects working in 7.0.3, that function perfectly well in FCP 5.1.4?

Thanks in advance,
Dorit

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Sep 29, 2010 at 6:20:46 pm

No you misunderstood the term" recapture".. it means load the tapes in a machine, select the now offline clip, and recapture it from the tape.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

dorit grunberger
on Sep 29, 2010 at 6:28:49 pm

Ahhhh. I never did this before. So if you can have some patience with me, could you step me through the process? Is there some easy way to do this, or do I have to find each clip in question on the tape manually?

Many thanks,

Dorit

Thanks in advance,
Dorit

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Sep 29, 2010 at 6:31:16 pm

Didn't you say you had a "master clip" you cut down into smaller sections? If you used subclips of that master clip (the whole tape maybe?) then all you need to do is recapture that master clip once it's disconnected from any media. Just select the offline master clip in the browser, right click, and select "batch capture", then follow the prompts.

Jerry

Return to posts index

dorit grunberger
on Sep 29, 2010 at 6:58:49 pm

Well, I didn't make subclips. What I did was create a sequence, drop my master, chop it up with blade and copy/paste the bladed clips into my project timeline. If the copied clips need further adjustment, I shorten/lengthen in the project timeline.

So now what I did, trying to follow your original instructions, was move the master clip folder so the clips now need to be reconnected. I right clicked on one of the clips in the timeline and selected "Capture."

I now am getting a warning that:

"You are about to capture Non-Drop Frame media from a device currently detecting or configure for Drop Frame media. If you proceed, you may experience changes in logged in and out points, problems relinking media, or removal of master clip relationships."

I must have made a mess of things somehow... I won't proceed until I hear from you on this. Looks ominous...

Thanks in advance,
Dorit

Return to posts index

dorit grunberger
on Sep 29, 2010 at 7:10:53 pm

So I guess you're suggesting I recapture the whole tape?
That will take an hour, I can try that later. What do you think the chances of success are?

Thanks in advance,
Dorit

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Sep 30, 2010 at 12:44:08 am

As long as the tape has timecode, what should happen is that your master clip will be back online, and connected to the clips you put in your sequence the way you intended. Hopefully maintaining sync.

Jerry

Return to posts index

dorit grunberger
on Sep 30, 2010 at 1:00:13 am

Thanks Jerry

I'll try it when I have some time. We have a deadline for this coming Monday and I succumbed to working further on the project with the older version of the software, where everything is synced up very nicely.

Appreciate you input,

Happy (Hebrew) New Year to you

Dorit

Thanks in advance,
Dorit

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on Sep 30, 2010 at 9:15:54 pm

I've now seen this too many times in too many different setups.

Recapturing is not an option often - no deck available, tape in a different country - or the media was tapeless to begin with.

I suspect it is down to the inherent non frame-based nature of quicktime.

One manifestation I have now seen twice is where I have revealed part of a clip that means that it is now partially rendered. The unrendered (green preview) section plays and then does a jump cut to the rendered section.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]