FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dropping frames when playing back

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Berg
Dropping frames when playing back
on Sep 27, 2010 at 8:26:04 am

I am having some trouble here... I have been reading through the posts but can't seem to find the answer. Basically I am getting dropped frames when I playback my fully-rendered timeline.

In my case I have a 90min timeline, 1920x1080, 23.98p, Uncompressed 10bit 4:2:2, 2 tracks of audio (16bit 48khz AIFF's). I am just trying to play back to my standalone dvd burner (Since I can't get quicktime references to export). Dropping frames at various points in the timeline. Very Frustrating since I think it should not be happening. I also have a fully rendered timeline (only some dark blue lines in the render bar area).

Can anyone shed any light on this one? I did a clean wipe of my system about 2 months ago and did a fresh install of Final Cut Studio 2 (I'm on 6.0.6). I have a G5 - Dual 2.5 CPU's, 6.5GB of ram. My drive system is a RAID 5 with a 4 drive stripe, connected via SAS to a Highpoint RAID card.

When I run the AJA disk speed tool, I get around 305 MB/sec. when I look at the graph, the read speed is very consistent. I have run the test multiple times. I have about 20-25% space free on the RAID. I did try to trash the prefs and repair disk permissions on my C: (boot) drive.

Can anyone help please?? Thanks so much.

Return to posts index

Roli Rivelino
Re: Dropping frames when playing back
on Sep 27, 2010 at 11:59:39 am

I think you should be using the ProRes and not 10 bit uncompressed. I'm not an expert though, but I think that could be the source of your problems.

aka Newbie Wan Kenewbie. "The young Newbie, is now a Padawon."

Mac Pro 2.8Gb quad core
1x 320Gb 7200 hardrive
1x 1Tb 7200 hardrive
Nvidia Geforce 8800 512mb Graphics card
1x 1Tb external WD 'My Book' eSata

Panasonic AG-HVX 200
Firestore FS-100

Return to posts index

Peter Berg
Re: Dropping frames when playing back
on Sep 27, 2010 at 6:09:30 pm

Thanks for the email Roli. On this project the client wants to stay uncompressed.

I know that uncompressed requires much faster drives than Prores does. But from what I have read, if I am getting over 300MB/sec it should be ok for 1080p/23.98 video. Did I mis-calculate here?

I also know that a G5 is pretty old. But Prores would be harder on the CPU than uncompressed right? (Because it has to constantly un-compress and re-compress as it goes out through the Kona 2 card.)

I feel like this system should be able to handle this playback. Or am I missing something here?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved