FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dropping frames when playing back

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Berg
Dropping frames when playing back
on Sep 27, 2010 at 8:26:04 am

I am having some trouble here... I have been reading through the posts but can't seem to find the answer. Basically I am getting dropped frames when I playback my fully-rendered timeline.

In my case I have a 90min timeline, 1920x1080, 23.98p, Uncompressed 10bit 4:2:2, 2 tracks of audio (16bit 48khz AIFF's). I am just trying to play back to my standalone dvd burner (Since I can't get quicktime references to export). Dropping frames at various points in the timeline. Very Frustrating since I think it should not be happening. I also have a fully rendered timeline (only some dark blue lines in the render bar area).

Can anyone shed any light on this one? I did a clean wipe of my system about 2 months ago and did a fresh install of Final Cut Studio 2 (I'm on 6.0.6). I have a G5 - Dual 2.5 CPU's, 6.5GB of ram. My drive system is a RAID 5 with a 4 drive stripe, connected via SAS to a Highpoint RAID card.

When I run the AJA disk speed tool, I get around 305 MB/sec. when I look at the graph, the read speed is very consistent. I have run the test multiple times. I have about 20-25% space free on the RAID. I did try to trash the prefs and repair disk permissions on my C: (boot) drive.

Can anyone help please?? Thanks so much.

-Peter

Return to posts index

Roli Rivelino
Re: Dropping frames when playing back
on Sep 27, 2010 at 11:59:39 am

I think you should be using the ProRes and not 10 bit uncompressed. I'm not an expert though, but I think that could be the source of your problems.

aka Newbie Wan Kenewbie. "The young Newbie, is now a Padawon."

System
Mac Pro 2.8Gb quad core
8Gb RAM
1x 320Gb 7200 hardrive
1x 1Tb 7200 hardrive
Nvidia Geforce 8800 512mb Graphics card
1x 1Tb external WD 'My Book' eSata

Equipment
Panasonic AG-HVX 200
Firestore FS-100

Return to posts index

Peter Berg
Re: Dropping frames when playing back
on Sep 27, 2010 at 6:09:30 pm

Thanks for the email Roli. On this project the client wants to stay uncompressed.

I know that uncompressed requires much faster drives than Prores does. But from what I have read, if I am getting over 300MB/sec it should be ok for 1080p/23.98 video. Did I mis-calculate here?

I also know that a G5 is pretty old. But Prores would be harder on the CPU than uncompressed right? (Because it has to constantly un-compress and re-compress as it goes out through the Kona 2 card.)

I feel like this system should be able to handle this playback. Or am I missing something here?

-Peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]