Log and Transfer from folder on scratch disc
I shot a cooking show using two T2i's as my b-cams. I offloaded the cards as we went onto my computer. I pulled the entire folder into my computer from the card and backed it up in two different locations. In Final Cut Pro I am now able to go to "file" "import files" and pull the footage into my browser and then into my timeline. The footage appears to be in its native format and it's jerky. I would like it to be in Pro-Res as that's what my A-Cam footage will be and it makes more sense for four hours of footage over three high def cameras. When I try to import the footage from Log and Transfer (after selecting the EOS movie plug in) I get the message ""Camera B-1 Kitchen Shoot" contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media." I think the simple answer here would be that the directory structure did not copy over completely from the card to my computer or has been somehow corrupted. On the other hand, the reason I didn't log and transfer the footage in the first place from off the camera is that I got a similar if not identical message. I just couldn't worry about it in the middle of a shoot so I copied the files as they were. What is the best way to move forward now? Are there any ways to troubleshoot the log and transfer process or should I convert them in compressor? I posted this in the Canon cameras forum and only got one reply pointing me to a tutorial I had already seen on log and transfer. Could log and transfer not be recognizing them because I changed the name of the DCIM folder? I tried changing the name back and it didn't seem to help? Log and transfer seems to be rather quick generally and it took me 7 hours to transcode one 1gig file to pro-res 422. I have a lot of files here... I'm going to look into how to set up Q-master but if y'all have any tips on what to do from here please advise. Thanks. -Richard
You have to hack the plugin.
Found this a while back somewhere
1. Install the new Canon EOS MOVIE Plugin-E1 for Final Cut Pro (http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...nloadDetailAct)
2. Go to Library/Application Support/ProApps/MIO/RAD/Plugins/CanonE1.RADPLug/Contents/Resources/
2. Open up cameras.plist (this didn't work when I opened up the file in TextEdit or a word processor, I had to use TextWrangler or BBedit) I would also back up the file before opening it.
3. After the 7D info add the following lines of code (keeping to the coding structure):
Canon EOS REBEL T2i
4. Save the text file. Close it. Everything should work now.
This is working on my MBP and MacPro
DOn't rename ANY of the folders inside the card...none. You need to make a new folder and name THAT folder.
Here...workflow: Tapeless Workflow for FCP 7 Tutorial
GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def
Just wanted to finish the forum by explaining my solution. First off, thank you Michael for your advice. It seems that was definitely one of my issues. Not having modified the Canon Plug-In was probably the reason log and transfer wouldn't recognize the files straight from the card reader. Secondly, I had not paid enough attention to Shane's tutorial or I would have known not to rename any folder. Because I had multiple canon cameras I wanted to name them for organization. I should have created a new folder that I could name and put the full file from the cards into that folder. Hindsight is 20 20 right. Next time I'll take notes when Shane makes a tutorial.
My reason for desperately wanting to use Log and Tranfer was that it had taken several hours for compressor to convert 1 clip from canon .mov to prores 422 High Quality. I had 3 cameras worth of footage with about 60 gigs from each camera to be transcoded. I got it done by dropping pro-res 422 high quality and going with regular pro-res 422. From what I read when you're starting with a fairly compressed format (like the canon files) there is no real advantage to the High Quality setting. I also noticed my cpu usage was only working at about 10% so I enabled Q-master for 7 instances on my 8 core early 2008 (no hyperthreading) mac pro. With this my processor usage went up to fluctuating between 94 and 96 percent!!! I put about 20 clips at a time into compressor and from 10:00 last night to 5:00 this morning all the footage was transcoded. Thanks Shane and Michael for your input. Hopefully next time I'll be able to just use Log and Transfer. Cheers -Richard