FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting 1920x1080 25p Prores LT to NTSC SD

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
paul nevison
Converting 1920x1080 25p Prores LT to NTSC SD
on Sep 27, 2010 at 12:26:59 am

Hey all

just looking to convert my ProRes LT 1920x1080 25p clip to a format I can then turn into an NTSC SD DVD.

I'm looking at the presets in Compressor and wondering whether to go
10 Bit Uncompressed NTSC or DVCPRO50 NTSC Anamorphic.

Anyone suggest the best settings to maintain quality?

thanks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Converting 1920x1080 25p Prores LT to NTSC SD
on Sep 27, 2010 at 12:42:39 am

Don't compress, then compress. That's and extra step, and an extra layer of compression. Just export a movie from FCP, self contained, and then use the DVD presets.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

paul nevison
on Sep 27, 2010 at 12:48:34 am

Hey Shane

when you say use the "DVD presets" do you mean the ones in Compressor or the compression controls within DVDSP?

I'm not 100% sure where the PAL-NTSC conversion would happen as the presets generally just convert your film to MPEG2 but keep the frame rates etc of the native file...which in my case is PAL 25p

can you clarify?

thanks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 27, 2010 at 2:13:52 am

Oh, wait, PAL to NTSC...I missed that part. That's more complex. How about making a PAL DVD? NTSC players will play them.

Shane

Return to posts index

paul nevison
on Sep 27, 2010 at 2:18:58 am

hey shane

usually I thought it was the other way round ....PAL dvd players play back NTSC fine....NTSC dvd players struggle with PAL discs??

In the past I've used compressor to convert my PAL QT to NTSC then in a second step encoded the new NTSC QT to Mpeg2 for NTSC dvd creation.

I'm all for missing out an encode if I can.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 27, 2010 at 2:41:38 am

Test and see.

Shane

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Sep 27, 2010 at 2:47:04 am

Most NTSC players wont play PAL. Most PAL will play NTSC though

Return to posts index

paul nevison
on Sep 27, 2010 at 2:57:10 am

Hey Eric

yes that's been my experience in the past. I'm in PAL land so am unable to test to see if the discs I make will play on NTSC players etc...

I guess I'll stick with plan A ....standards convert first, then encode to mpeg2

thanks all

Macpro Duel core 3Ghz
4.0G RAM
OS 10.4.11
QT 7.5
FCP 6.0.4
AE CS3 8.0.1.8
BMD Decklink HD Extreme 6.6
PAL Land

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Sep 27, 2010 at 3:02:48 am

Very few NTSC players play PAL. Most modern PAL equipment will handle NTSC, but not all.

If you want to make a PAL disc (without purchasing the Nattress plug in or getting a hardware conversion)...export from your timeline as Quicktime (same as source)

Take that into Compressor and do the standards conversion/downconversion first. Choose the NTSC preset for 8 bit uncompressed in the Advanced Format Conversions folder. You need to turn on the frame controls...change the Resize to Better (or Best..but Better is often sufficient and much faster), set Output Fields to same as source since you are progressive. Set the Rate Conversion to Better or Best. Leave the Deinterlace on Fast (if you are using Progressive footage, it won't actually do anything if you leave it set for that).

Take the resulting NTSC SD 8 Bit Uncompressed file and use the appropriate MPEG-2 DVD presets.

Do not try to do the standards conversion, downconversion and MPEG encode all in one step.

You did not state the length of your project, but many people find that creating your own preset using CBR (constant bit rate) at 7 will look better and encode much faster. If you are unhappy with the results of the presets (which are VBR--variable bit rate), you might want to try that.

Be sure to encode your audio to AC-3.

Return to posts index

paul nevison
on Sep 27, 2010 at 3:09:29 am

Hi John

Thanks for the clarification.

I have the Nattress plugin which in the past has given brilliant results. I just wasn't sure if the prores issues had been resolved yet. I had a few problems a year or so ago and Graeme was looking into it.

I've emailed Graeme and will await to hear before using the plugin for this job.

the Film is 16mins long so there shouldn't be any issues fitting it on the dvd.

thanks again all

Macpro Dual core 3Ghz
8GB RAM
OS 10.6.4
QT 7.6.6
FCP 7.0.3
AE CS4
PAL Land

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Sep 27, 2010 at 3:11:35 am

Nattress should be the way to go for you then.

I wasn't aware there were ProRes issues. I have never had a problem.

Good luck.

Return to posts index

paul nevison
on Sep 27, 2010 at 3:15:52 am

Hi John

yeah the prores issues might have been an issue that I was having with my particular set up.

I've moved on in software versions since those issues so hopefully all is resolved now.

thanks

Macpro Dual core 3Ghz
8GB RAM
OS 10.6.4
QT 7.6.6
FCP 7.0.3
AE CS4
PAL Land

Return to posts index

paul nevison
on Sep 28, 2010 at 6:25:50 am

further to this discussion, I've tried doing the standards conversion in compressor and while the picture is clean the graphics are distorting and tearing after the conversion.

I tried the settings suggested by John and then did a second encode using all the "best" settings but am still getting the distortion on the graphics.

can anyone suggest settings that eliminate the distortion on the text?

thanks

Macpro Dual core 3Ghz
8GB RAM
OS 10.6.4
QT 7.6.6
FCP 7.0.3
AE CS4
PAL Land

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Sep 28, 2010 at 5:28:09 pm

Try using "Better" or even "Good" instead of "Best", for the Rate conversion or the Resize.

The Optical Flow algorithm, while creating very nice motion, when used on the Highest Quality settings can distort graphics, unfortunately. Best is not always the best choice.

Also be sure you are keeping everything progressive (set it to Progressive in Output Fields).

You can also use Cinema Tools to conform from 25fps to 23.98, then make an NTSC MPEG-2 with that. All NTSC DVD players play 24p discs and can add pulldown on the fly, for non-progressive displays.

Conforming with Cinema Tools will result in a small speed change and you may have to pitch correct your audio. The result should be visually very clean, though.

The best way to do a standards conversion is a hardware converter, unfortunately.

Return to posts index

paul nevison
on Sep 30, 2010 at 1:06:14 am

thanks John

using the "good" settings seemed to do the trick.

In future for productions that will be shown in both PAL and NTSC lands is it better to just shoot in 24p for ultimate compatibility?

Macpro Dual core 3Ghz
8GB RAM
OS 10.6.4
QT 7.6.6
FCP 7.0.3
AE CS4
PAL Land

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Sep 30, 2010 at 3:57:27 am

[paul nevison] "In future for productions that will be shown in both PAL and NTSC lands is it better to just shoot in 24p for ultimate compatibility?"

Yes.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]