FORUMS: list search recent posts

Moving FCP Associated Files

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leena Patel
Moving FCP Associated Files
on Sep 26, 2010 at 1:32:22 am

I've just bought Final Cut Studio and I'm trying to use the least amount of hard drive space on my computer. I want to move the associated files for Final Cut (located in Macintosh HD > Library > Application Support > Final Cut Studio) to an external drive and reconnect the files to the new location. However I do not know where on Final Cut Pro I can do that. I've tried System Settings, User Prefs, Audio/Video Settings.

Am I looking in the wrong place or is moving the files a bad idea/impossible?

Return to posts index

Chad Tingle
Re: Moving FCP Associated Files
on Sep 26, 2010 at 4:09:07 am

Are you trying to move your media files or the program files associated when you instal Final Cut?

Chad Tingle
Producer/Editor

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 26, 2010 at 6:18:03 am

Why don't you just move them and see what happens? You can always move them back. I moved mine. I think it just complained and asked where they were. I pointed the apps in the right direction. Soundtrack was a problem for some reason and I had to leave them. But Motion and DVDSP I moved to a separate drive.

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Sep 26, 2010 at 4:49:14 pm

You can run FCP completely off an external drive AFAIK - I seem to remember reading a couple of editors saying they did this when working in some facilities so the version they used was correct and set up as they wanted it.

To do this you would have to choose this drive as the install location when you installed all the software. Moving system resources after installing sounds like it either wouldn't work, or would cause endless problems. Certain things, like the preference files would simply be re-written in the original location anyway.

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/casestudies/detail.asp?case=therydercup

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]