FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing over Remote Desktop? Or alternate ways?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Ellison
Editing over Remote Desktop? Or alternate ways?
on Sep 24, 2010 at 12:39:41 pm

Hey all,

I know this is highly unlikely but I'm hoping someone could do me a huge favour here with suggestions.

Basically, I am moving from the UK to the USA for personal reasons, and the place that currently employs me as an Editor are willing to keep me on at a freelance basis if I can figure out a way to connect to their edit suite/ edit on mine which updates their system.

I know logmein is not an option, it doesn't do playback of a sequence and there is no sound. Is there any alternatives at all?

They are on a 10mb download/upload server so lots of speed, maybe someway of connecting that way?

Could final cut server help in any way?

Any ideas at all that would not be costly to them would be so much appreciated, as I'd actually have some way of making a little money in a new country (I have no contacts so wont be walking into a job anytime soon).

Cheers

Gary

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Editing over Remote Desktop? Or alternate ways?
on Sep 24, 2010 at 1:53:40 pm

[Gary Ellison] "Basically, I am moving from the UK to the USA for personal reasons, and the place that currently employs me as an Editor are willing to keep me on at a freelance basis if I can figure out a way to connect to their edit suite/ edit on mine which updates their system... Could final cut server help in any way?"

Maybe. FCS can create offline proxies of any media ingested in the UK studio for you to download and cut before returning your project file for a quick UK online.

@radical.media used Final Cut Server to allow teams in China and New York collaborate on subtitling and editorial. They don't show a tremendous amount of detail, but you can see a quick video on Apple's web site: http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/in-action/

There's another thread with a similar question in the COW'sApple Final Cut Server forum.

Also, if you get familiar enough with FCS to get this working, that'd be an interesting marketable skill to bring with you when you relocate.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Sep 24, 2010 at 2:06:06 pm

Have u looked at iChat screenshare? I use it routinely...limitations - only supports one monitor, and someone on the host computer HAS to authorize (accept)
you to take control...

Return to posts index

Gary Ellison
on Sep 24, 2010 at 3:00:27 pm

Thanks for both responses! Regarding Server, I've never actually used it but after what you said I'm definately going to look into it.

Jason, does screenshare allow you to watch the sequence real time and hear audio?

Thanks once again.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Sep 24, 2010 at 3:04:57 pm

From my experience, real time(frame rate) is based on connection speed...
And yes, it pushes system audio...

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 24, 2010 at 3:13:17 pm

[Jason Brown] "From my experience, real time(frame rate) is based on connection speed...
And yes, it pushes system audio..."

Isn't there also variable lag? I'd think that would make trimming edits difficult, especially with a trans-Atlantic Internet connection.

Also, screen sharing would tie up one of the UK edit suites. Whether you use FCS or not, if you can cut proxies on your own machine, you'll free up a bay back in the UK and actually allow your facility to bill more time.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Gary Ellison
on Sep 24, 2010 at 3:38:45 pm

Having never worked with proxy files before, and not entirely sure of the workflow (which I shall research) how big do these files get? I mean for a particular project would all the rushes be able to be ftp'd to me somehow without too much trouble?

Thank you in advance, this would save my life!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 24, 2010 at 5:02:23 pm

[Gary Ellison] "how big do these files get? I mean for a particular project would all the rushes be able to be ftp'd to me somehow without too much trouble?"

See the AJA Data Rate Calculator to get a sense of file sizes.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Sep 24, 2010 at 6:16:09 pm

Avid is really on the forefront here. THey demo'd an internet based editing solution at NAB in April, but
I'm not sure when they expect it to become available.

Here's a peek.

http://community.avid.com/blogs/events/archive/2010/04/13/web-based-editing...

Mark

Return to posts index

Will Eccleston
on Sep 25, 2010 at 3:14:17 pm

Small correction to an above post: There is a way to set up iChat screen sharing so that NO action is required on the host computer to log in. Detailed here:

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20080715205905862

Will Eccleston
Kinetiscape Films

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Sep 26, 2010 at 2:29:30 am

That is genius!! Thanks for the link...I'll be using that, definitely....

Return to posts index

Rob Tinworth
on Sep 26, 2010 at 7:53:28 pm

I work almost exclusively remotely, using a combination of ichat and screensharing.

The real key for me is having two sets of identical media in my suite and the remote suite. Same codecs, same file structure, same drive name. That allows me to work on the cut, then use remote login and screen sharing to update my cut on the director's suite at the end of every day, and have all the media relink automatically. Hit render on the remote machine and the director can come in the next morning and see everything in full HD.

If and when I need to work together with the director to review or tweak, I output a composite signal from my suite through a DV deck, firewired into a laptop and fed into ichat (FCP7 has a direct to ichat mode, but it cuts off the signal to your own monitor). And screen sharing allows me to see his script on his desktop wherever he is, and even annotate or edit the script.

You need a really good system of checking in and out scripts to make sure they stay in sync with your cut.

Render times can get impractical (I haven't worked out a way of having the remote suite remember that it's already rendered most of the sequence and only a few things have changed), so I also ftp quicktimes of the cut now and then.

This is primarily for long form work, where there's time to capture everything, clone the drives and send them to me. For quick turnaround work where they'd have to ftp you the shots you'd need something like the proxies mentioned earlier.

Rob Tinworth
http://www.1021.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]