FORUMS: list search recent posts

Plaese VOB File Help with FCP 7 and breaking the Audo into 2 channels if possible?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
paul roubicek
Plaese VOB File Help with FCP 7 and breaking the Audo into 2 channels if possible?
on Sep 24, 2010 at 9:27:15 am

Hi I know this has been talked about many times on the forums l have look at them but l need a little extra help please with the VOB files l have

1.l have only the DVD's and also the VOB files l have taken from the DVD's to use no other footage or the original footage its all l have

question.

l want to make a show reel from these files with FCP 7 what is the best quick-time conversion to no lose any more quality?

2. l have been trying Motion apple A (is this OK to edit with) interlace and also deinterlace and they both look OK, l have tired uncompressed 8 and 10 bit and all the other mentioned solutions l have seen on this site none are any good lose to much and also get interlacing a lot.

can some one tell me if the apple A is OK to use for edit? if not whats better to keep the VOB as it is.

L get so much interlacing when the Motion Apple A is on the time line not when just paying out of time line???

how Do l get ride of the interlacing
and for output to use as a email file and also linked file for people to see whats the best output compression, information

if l want to have the 2 channels of audio so no voice over and only Nat is there a way??? and if so what program to do it

and last Does the Quick time MPeg-2 playback work on FCP 7 and will it give Video and Audio????? for direct FCP editing with VOB files

hope someone can help , please

cheer and thanks Paul

Return to posts index

Sean Kapleton
Re: Plaese VOB File Help with FCP 7 and breaking the Audo into 2 channels if possible?
on Sep 24, 2010 at 9:46:51 am

open with mpegstreamclip and export as needed

Return to posts index

paul roubicek
Re: Plaese VOB File with FCP 7 and breaking the Audo into 2 channels if possible?
on Sep 24, 2010 at 10:07:59 am

Hi whats the best export to use everything think have tired looks not great??? l just need it for show reel but looking good.

also what's the best Time line to work in with this

and how do l get ride o the interlacing really bad

and is there a way to get the 2 audio channels by them self's as l would prefer the Nat sound not Voice over

thanks Paul

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Please VOB File with FCP 7 and breaking the Audo into 2 channels if possible?
on Sep 24, 2010 at 4:31:20 pm

[paul roubicek] "l just need it for show reel but looking good."

From a ripped DVD? Image quality depends on how much the video was compressed when the DVD was authored. You don't have any control over that. Use MPEG Streamclip to convert the video to ProRes 422. At least you won't lose any more image quality. This is also when you can create two channels of audio.

But if the audio was mono to begin with, there really isn't any point in doing that. It's very difficult to create stereo from mono, and it almost always sounds funny.

[paul roubicek] "and how do l get rid(e) o(f) the interlacing really bad"

Export from FCP using Compressor. It can do the deinterlacing for you.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brad Elliott
Re: Plaese VOB File with FCP 7 and breaking the Audo into 2 channels if possible?
on Sep 24, 2010 at 7:56:28 pm

Do the showreel settings and your VOB match?

Is the footage SD/HD? 4x3 SD DVDs are 720x480. 16x9 is 853x480.
What export codec are you using? ProRes 422 would be a good place to start.

If the audio is mixed there is no simple answer for separating the VO from the other audio elements. EQ in Soundtrack Pro or Ableton Live would be a possible but not simple options.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Please VOB File with FCP 7 and breaking the Audo into 2 channels if possible?
on Sep 24, 2010 at 8:09:29 pm

[Brad Elliott] "SD DVDs are 720x480. 16x9 is 853x480."

Actually, both 16x9 AND 4x3 DVDs are 720x480 in NTSC-Land. The pixels are simply wider on widescreen files, filling them out to 16x9.

In PAL-Land, DVDs are 720x576 for both widescreen and 4x3.

853x480 is fine if you're making standard-def widescreen for the web or a similar application. But not for DVDs. NTSC DVDs are always 720x480.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Brad Elliott
on Sep 24, 2010 at 8:23:29 pm

Agreed.

But Streamclip does have a 854x480 export option if you drop in a SD 16x9 VOB.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 24, 2010 at 8:30:19 pm

Agreed.

But then you would be messing with pixels already messed up by mpeg 2 encoding. I don't know how desirable that is, particularly if there will eventually be a change in size. I'd prefer to leave the video in as pristine a condition as possible.

"Pristine", of course, being a relative term after having endured mpeg2 compression for DVD. It's like saying one pig in the sty is prettier than another.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

paul roubicek
on Sep 25, 2010 at 3:13:48 am

Thanks for that information, sorry for late reply's to my question time difference, please let me fill you in on the footage.

the problems l am having is the footage which l filmed was from 2 camera's, either HDV1080i Sony FX1 or Panasonic HDV 1080i full size camera. all NTSC Cameras

the Edits where done in the states but not by me, l have tired to get hold of them, to find out the editing information Don't think l will be able to, so l am unsure other than a HDV capture from there ???? ( unsure of there time line?)

the Company that sent me the DVD's was USA Company HDNet if any help

the DVD's l have already have had TS.VOB files made and are
on my Hard drive but l also have the DVD's as well for use.

the information of VOB files are

originally filmed on Sony HDV-FX1 1080i
VOB stream information Original Edit time line UNSURE

Video
224 MPEG-2, 720x480, 4;3 29.97fps 8.82Mbs, upper field first

Audio
128ACS 2/0, 48KHz, 384Kbs

originally filmed on Panasonic HDV1080i Full size camera

VOB stream information Original edit time line UNSURE

video
224 MPEG-2, 720x480, 4;3 29.97fps 4.62Kbs upper field first

Audio
Audio
128ACS 2/0, 48KHz, 256Kbs

near all the VOB files are this way in VOB stream infornation give or take a few frames Differences

So from what l have available to use at this stage is only the DVD's and the VOB files l have already made from the DVD's , from this l want to make a show reels of the the Footage and also have available web links to this footage on my web site, and if need be, Be able to send as DVD (if quality will be OK)

Questions.

1. l have tired the Proress 422 hq and also normal but still get interlacing in the time line l have tried 8 and 10Bit., Whats the best way out of the VOB file for me for my use and finished edit compression once l have edited.

1a Whats the best FCP7 Time line setting to work in with all of this.

1b Whats the best web format to put the finished Edit into for a web link and use on my web site???

2. whats the best format to be able to send a 3 to 4 minute clip via email ( after edit)

4. how do l get ride the interlacing?

5. Audio tells me 2 channels if there a way out to get either the VO or Nat sound only

6 is it bad to edit with the VOB straight in to FCP 7?

thanks for your time guys hope to back from you and the information can be of assistance with my questions l have about 40 Documentaries l want to edit through.

Paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]