FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dropped Frame Warning when I wasn't before? What changed?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Lennert
Dropped Frame Warning when I wasn't before? What changed?
on Sep 23, 2010 at 10:31:50 pm

I am new to FCP and I am working on my first project. I built a very rough cut (one v1 and two audio a1 a2 tracks with simple cuts. super basic) and it was running fine. My logic board went down, I had it replaced and now the dropped frame warning is coming up within the first second or two when I try to play in the timeline or in the viewer.

The particulars:
Shot with Canon 5D Mark II
Converted to Apple ProRes 4444 via Log and Transfer (I was getting skipping with ProRes 422)
Apple MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
V 10.5.8. 43.76 GB Hard drive available
My files live on a WD 1.8 TB drive with 1.16 TB Free. Connected via USB 2.0 to the USB port on my 30" Apple Cinema Display which is connected to the laptop. I also have a 500GB G drive connected via fire wire but have nothing to do with FCP .
Final Cut Pro Version 7.0.3

As a check, I opened the projects I built using the Apple Pro Training Series book Final Cut Pro 7 and they run fine.

I apologize in advance fro my newbieness. Thanks for the help

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: Dropped Frame Warning when I wasn't before? What changed?
on Sep 23, 2010 at 10:42:14 pm

"My files live on a WD 1.8 TB drive with 1.16 TB Free. Connected via USB"

USB drives are not what you should be using for video editing. USB works in bursts of data. Video editing needs constant data speeds.

Some people get away with USB for editing DV material, but you are editing Pro Res which has a higher data rate then DV.

Use a FW800 drive or better yet a esata raid.

**Hindsight is always 1080p**

Return to posts index

Matt Lennert
on Sep 23, 2010 at 10:47:33 pm

ok, great. Is that why I am getting the dropped frame warning? Are these drives available at consumer electronics store? (Best Buy et al?)

Return to posts index

Matt Lennert
on Sep 24, 2010 at 7:03:00 pm

I moved all of my FCP work to my 500GB G-Drive working with Firewire 800. When I tried to relaunch FCP it would just quit before it finished the launch start up. I used my iPhone app FCP Guide to narrow down the issue which advised me to throw away my preferences com.apple.finalcutpro.plist as well as the three other files in the Final Cut Pro User Data Folder: Final Cut Pro 7.0 Prefs, Final Cut Pro 7.0 Obj Cache, and Final Cut Pro 7.0 Prof Cache. After doing this, I relaunched FCP, reassigned my scratch disk to the new G-Drive source, and now everything is working great.

Thanks for the help!

matt

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]