FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing for Apple TV

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Rood
Editing for Apple TV
on Sep 23, 2010 at 7:08:12 pm

I recently purchased a 160GB Apple TV. My plan is to use it for testing some of my digital signage that I have recently started to do. I had already created a large amount of visuals for a company before this purchase and when I realized I could only run 720p video at 25 frames per second at 5mbps that threw me for a loop. If I export my FInal Cut (express) video with Quicktime H.264 I can set the frame rate but it always looks choppy. If I export with the Quicktime Apple TV setting it will resize the video to 960x540 at 29.97 fps and looks pretty good.

So I decided after much testing that I should just worry about creating my content going forward at 1280x720 at 25 fps. There are default settings for this in FInal Cut Express but I was wondering how you can use any video within this format? I can generate content at this frame rate but I assume I can't use any video from my old SD camera.

If I am creating video that will work on multiple digital Media Players (including my Apple TV) will I need to buy a new HD video camera? What frame rates do the newer consumer / pro-sumer shoot at? What other settings should I be considering?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Editing for Apple TV
on Sep 23, 2010 at 9:33:29 pm

[Peter Rood] "I recently purchased a 160GB Apple TV. My plan is to use it for testing some of my digital signage that I have recently started to do... If I am creating video that will work on multiple digital Media Players (including my Apple TV) will I need to buy a new HD video camera? What frame rates do the newer consumer / pro-sumer shoot at? What other settings should I be considering?"

I would purchase the media players that will actually display the signage content for testing. Testing on Apple TV will only confirm for you that it works on Apple TV.

Your acquisition frame rate (among other attributes) should be decided by your signage displays and playback systems. Some systems like 1080i. Some systems like 720p. What does your system like?

Since these installations are fixed, you will have to build your pipeline starting from the end (display), backwards through post to acquisition.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Peter Rood
Re: Editing for Apple TV
on Sep 24, 2010 at 1:35:38 pm

When I did the videos for the signs I actually brought one of the 3 players he had back to the studio. But down the road I know I will always be creating content for different media players.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]