FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP Studio 3 timeline settings

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Ball
FCP Studio 3 timeline settings
on Sep 23, 2010 at 3:37:45 pm

I've installed my FCP studio 3 in my new Mac Pro 8 core with 16 GB RAM. Two questions:

1. On the timeline clicking the RT drop down. The only options I see are:

- Play base layer only
- Use playback settings
- Full Quality

Where are the other options? With these options I need to render simple dissolves to see them. Shouldn't I have more real time renders with 16GB of RAM? How would I access that RAM. Is there something I need to do in set-up first?

Thanks for your help

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: FCP Studio 3 timeline settings
on Sep 23, 2010 at 4:21:59 pm

Look at the codec of your FCP edit timeline. Some codecs demand more processor power than others, which results in less real time.

RAM's a great thing to have, but it doesn't speed up real time playback. Speedy processors do that.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Sep 23, 2010 at 4:56:09 pm

Thanks Dave. But I'm not seeing any options on the RT pop-up menu on the timeline. I don't see any safe or unlimited options, no playback quality options, etc. There's nothing there except what I posted earlier.

That would solve my problem. I think having a brand new 8 core model has enough processing power for 8 bit uncompressed.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 23, 2010 at 5:50:24 pm

The issue is that you are editing with footage that isn't found in the EASY SETUP list in FCP. It isn't ProRes, or DVCPRO HD or HDV or DV. You are editing with H.264 or some other QT codec. Not every codec is editable, and only those in the Easy Setup list offer the full RT list.

You also state: "With these options I need to render simple dissolves to see them. Shouldn't I have more real time renders with 16GB of RAM?" You shouldn't have to render dissolves if you use the proper editing codecs. And RAM has NOTHING to do with this. Proper editing formats, processors...that does.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
Let's try this again
on Sep 23, 2010 at 8:48:54 pm

Thanks for answering my questions, but you guys are missing the real question here. On the timeline where you have the RT drop down button, the ONLY are:

Play Base layer Only
Use play back settings
Full quality.

Where are:
Safe RT
Unlimited RT
Scrub High Quality

Dynamic Playback
High
Low
ECT?

They are not on this new software timeline. Please help with this.

As far as the codec is concerned.I'be been editing 8 bi uncompressed since FCP 3.0. I'm using the correct 8 bit uncompressed codec.

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
never mind I got it
on Sep 23, 2010 at 9:43:18 pm

I don't know why these clips were not recognized as 8 bit uncompressed. but recapturing fixed everything.

Thanks for your help guys

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]