FORUMS: list search recent posts

Benchmarking tool for FCP?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Jay
Benchmarking tool for FCP?
on Sep 22, 2010 at 3:52:51 pm

Following up on an earlier post, I'm wondering if there is any sort of benchmarking tool out there to assess the performance of FCP on a particular machine. I've just bought a new Mac Pro (specs in signature) and I want to confirm that its rendering times are par for the course. The improvement over the Quad G5 its replacing does not feel as great as I was anticipating, but perhaps my expectations were too high!

Any recommendations would be very much appreciated!

Best,
Neil

Mac Pro mid-2010 2.8GHz Quad-Core
Mac OS X (10.6.4)
16GB RAM
2TB Boot Drive
6TB Internal RAID-0

Return to posts index

Craig RussillRoy
Re: Benchmarking tool for FCP?
on Sep 22, 2010 at 5:40:25 pm

Howdy

You might want to download the blackmagic codecs - in there is a disk speed test tool - I found 1 of my internal drives was playing up and causing a massive render time - also do a permissions on your boot drive via disk utility.

Hope that helps !

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 23, 2010 at 1:56:17 am

[Neil Jay] "Following up on an earlier post, I'm wondering if there is any sort of benchmarking tool out there to assess the performance of FCP on a particular machine."
Hi Neil,
The best way is to compare how FC performs on some intensive processes. Gaussian Blur and FC's Motion blur has been used for those task.
So open a project and apply some of those effects to few clips and render in both computers.

[Neil Jay] "he improvement over the Quad G5 its replacing does not feel as great as I was anticipating, but perhaps my expectations were too high!"
What kind of maintenance do you make to to your new computer.
After a perfect installing, the system is a real mess.
You need to repair Permissions, and most important, rebuild the Directories. You need DiskWarrior or TechTools.
Cheers,
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Neil Jay
on Sep 23, 2010 at 8:36:46 pm

Thanks, Rafael. In terms of benchmarking, I'm looking to compare the performance of my system to another MacPro, but I only have mine. So what I was wondering is if there's some application that does some standard tests and provides an evaluation of performance. Or if perhaps there's some sort of site where folks post their stats so that I might compare that with the performance of my system.

Mac Pro mid-2010 2.8GHz Quad-Core
Mac OS X (10.6.4)
16GB RAM
2TB Boot Drive
6TB Internal RAID-0

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 24, 2010 at 2:16:40 am

Hi Neil,
Yes there are that kind of applications. They run some standard processes and measure the speed.
I've ran some in the past, but I can't point you to any one right now.
The only one I found is this one:
http://www.primatelabs.ca/geekbench/
But no sure if is good or not.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]