24 hour Quicktime reference movie

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Smith
24 hour Quicktime reference movie
on Sep 21, 2010 at 9:19:51 pm

Greetings,

I realize this sounds a bit insane...

...but... I'm creating a 24 hour reference Quicktime in Pro 7. The movie is made up of 24 individual, 1-hour 8-bit uncompressed files....so I'm stringing all of them together into a 24 hour reference movie. The strange thing is that after assembling more than 12 1-hour movies in the reference, the audio cuts out completely. If I assemble, for instance, 2 or 3 or 8 1-hour movies into a 24 hour reference, I get audio the whole way through. But the moment I assemble more than 12 individual files together the audio cuts out throughout the reference movie. QuickTime movie inspector still sees audio. Each of the uncompressed 1 hour quicktimes were exported from final cut as the same settings. Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Thanks

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: 24 hour Quicktime reference movie
on Sep 21, 2010 at 9:35:59 pm

[Paul Smith] "Anyone have any idea what's going on? "

I don't know if a size limit is documented anywhere for Quicktime reference movies, but I'm guessing you are hitting it.

Out of curiosity, what the heck are you creating a 24-Hour long reference movie for? Not that I have anything against insane behavior, per se.

Return to posts index

Paul Smith
on Sep 21, 2010 at 10:12:46 pm

It's an art project that's 24 hours. I'm running on an 8 core mac pro, 2 x 2Tb RAId, 8GB ram, 1gb ati card. Could it be a 12 hour time limit for a reference movie? Can anyone confirm this?

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Sep 21, 2010 at 9:43:38 pm

I believe the maximum length of a sequence in FCP is 12 hours. I don't know if that's a FCP or QT limit.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Sep 21, 2010 at 9:54:27 pm

[John Fishback] "I believe the maximum length of a sequence in FCP is 12 hours"

I bet its not a technical limitation. They just put it in there to remind people to EDIT.

Return to posts index

Paul Smith
on Sep 21, 2010 at 10:16:18 pm

Hi John,

each Quicktime is 1-hour long stemming from a 1-hour FCP sequence. The problem occurs when I assemble 24 1-hour movies into a single reference. The reference file is referencing the 1-hour quicktimes as opposed to anything in Final Cut.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Sep 21, 2010 at 10:23:17 pm

Confirmed. 12 hours is the limit.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2534

Final Cut Pro does not support clips or sequences longer than 12 hours. Importing or capturing clips longer than 12 hours will produce the message "File Error: 1 file(s) recognized, 0 access denied, 1 unknown."

You are going to have to have a reel change around 12 hours. You'll have to apologize to anyone who hung in there that long, I guess.

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Sep 21, 2010 at 11:17:25 pm

Try using QT Player Pro to create the ref movie. Copy and paste each of the 24 movies into one QT movie. This may not load into FCP for playback though as FCP does not like TC breaks.

Return to posts index

Paul Smith
on Sep 22, 2010 at 12:19:48 am

This is what I'm doing, however. 24 1-hour outputs from final cut and then I'm assembling them within QT Pro to create 1 24-hour reference movie. But after I copy and paste more than 12 of the 1-hour movies into this reference movie, the sound cuts out but I get the video

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Sep 22, 2010 at 2:42:02 am

What is your final plan for the video?

With a video that long you could only play it off a computer so here are a few thoughts

Create a single h.264 video file. For this I would recommend using a device called the turbo.264 it is a hardware encoder for h.264 (and with a video that long a hardware encoder would come in handy) and it will let you combine multiple video files into one.

Another option would be to simply make a play list in something like iTunes or VLC and let the computer move from one file to the next for you.

**Hindsight is always 1080p**

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
on Sep 22, 2010 at 2:06:39 pm

That was going to be my suggestion: a 24-slide Keynote presentation consisting of 1 hour of video on each slide, auto-advancing.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 22, 2010 at 3:56:32 pm

[Paul Smith] "I'm assembling them within QT Pro to create 1 24-hour reference movie. But after I copy and paste more than 12 of the 1-hour movies into this reference movie, the sound cuts out but I get the video"

Yes, and you will CONTINUE to have that problem. You can't do what you want to do. As John Pale points out, there is a 12-hour limit on Quicktime.

It's time for Plan B.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

andrew moraski
on Sep 22, 2010 at 4:12:30 pm

really? you want to be that guy?? just cut the movie to one hour, loop it and make people watch it 24 times. also, could you post an update of how many people actually stuck around to watch it? and has the editor/director actually watched it all the way through?

Return to posts index

Jaime Burns
on Jul 4, 2011 at 7:18:45 pm

Why is everyone making life so difficult for themselves.....
Simply edit 2 x 12 hour films with FCP and stitch them together using Visual Hub or a similar program with this facility. I often do this when I am creating 24 hour underwater film schedules for hotels with in house TV channels. And the comment about not being able to play this without a computer, wrong again....! Most good quality DVD players have USB ports. I normally make the 24 hour schedule an AVi file (Average size 19GB), put it on either an SD card or a flash drive. The DVD player will play it. It can also be played of an iPod if you make the file MP4.....

Hope that helps

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]