FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rendering Gives me terrible graphics in FC

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Princess Miller
Rendering Gives me terrible graphics in FC
on Sep 21, 2010 at 8:09:24 pm

Everytime I render my HD footage converted to SD project my graphics look worse and more worse. What should I do?

Princess Miller

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Rendering Gives me terrible graphics in FC
on Sep 21, 2010 at 8:45:38 pm

Are you saying your footage looks bad or your graphics? Or both?

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Princess Miller
on Sep 21, 2010 at 9:30:09 pm

Both... unrendered the video and graphics looks great and when I render everything it looks fuzzy for lack a better word

Princess Miller

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 21, 2010 at 9:16:35 pm

[Princess Miller] "Everytime I render my HD footage converted to SD project my graphics look worse and more worse."

Let me take a guess: you did your work in an FCP edit timeline, and it's in the codec of your video: HDV or something that's just as bad for graphics.

Know that for graphics work, HDV or any of its long-gop partners in crime treat carefully-crafted graphics the way a baby treats a diaper, a condition which manifests itself upon re-rendering. You should be working in a ProRes 422 edit timeline.

And if you originally made the graphics in that HDV-or-equally-bad-codec, shame! Remake 'em in ProRes 422.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Princess Miller
on Sep 21, 2010 at 9:34:45 pm

I did that and it still looks bad. This is my first time editing tapeless footage and it has posed some issues. My footage was in1080i 30p and I converted it to the same properties as my other projects because my company is not set up for this format yet.Thanks for responding

Princess Miller

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 21, 2010 at 9:50:28 pm

[Princess Miller] "My footage was in1080i 30p and I converted it to the same properties as my other projects because my company is not set up for this format yet."

Some codecs result in better-looking graphics. What is your FCP edit timeline set to? What's the H&V resolution and the codec you used? And what's the codec of this tapeless footage?

Finally: I hope you're not using the FCP viewers to judge the quality of the image, but a video monitor. I make graphics that look just God-awful in the viewers, but just fine in the video monitor, the ultimate display of image quality.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Sean McPhillips
on Sep 22, 2010 at 5:13:44 am

Did you by any chance change the render resolution to less than 100% to speed things up at any stage of your edit?

It's in the render control tab of the sequence settings window (Command+0 from the timeline).

Sean McPhillips

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]