FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing mixed formats xdcam and prores 422?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Fisher
Editing mixed formats xdcam and prores 422?
on Sep 21, 2010 at 4:47:20 pm

I have a big project that just got dumped into my lap last minute. It was mostly shot on xdcam but secondary cams consist of 2-5dmkII, 1-GoPro Hero HD, 1-sony lipstick cam. The 5d, gopro and lipstick have all been transcoded to prores 422. Due to time constraints I can't transcode all of the xdcam to prores.

So here is my question. Should I work in an xdcam timeline or a prores one? If I put the xdcam into a prores timeline I get a thick green render bar. If I put the prores into an xdcam timeline I see a very faint green bar. Either scenario plays back fine without dropping frames. So what would be the best course of action? It will not be very graphic intensive, just some low3rds with alpha. Onlining through Color. Not 100% on final delivery yet. I assume xdcam but not sure.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Editing mixed formats xdcam and prores 422?
on Sep 21, 2010 at 4:57:50 pm

[Scott Fisher] "Should I work in an xdcam timeline or a prores one?... It will not be very graphic intensive, just some low3rds with alpha. Onlining through Color. Not 100% on final delivery yet. "

Unless you want those lower-thirds to look like a well-known brown, stinky substance, and you want your round-trip through Color to look funny, it's ProRes all the way.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Sep 21, 2010 at 5:00:20 pm

Agreed, I edit all of my XDCam footage in ProRes with no issues

Steve Connor
Adrenalin Television

Have you tried "Search Posts"? Enlightenment may be there.

Return to posts index

Scott Fisher
on Sep 21, 2010 at 5:03:41 pm

So are you guys saying I should transcode all 11 xdcams to prores (which I really don't have time for) or would just working in the prores timeline be sufficient?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 21, 2010 at 6:42:12 pm

[Scott Fisher] "would just working in the prores timeline be sufficient?"

That'll do it. You see, when you export from FCP, footage gets rendered in the codec of the edit timeline. XDCam is both A) long-gop and a pain for editing long pieces because it slows down and B) very lossy if you have to re-render.

ProRes is neither of those things; hence, it's a lot better choice.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]