FORUMS: list search recent posts

Proxy Footage defined?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Morter-Laing
Proxy Footage defined?
on Sep 21, 2010 at 10:42:07 am

What is proxy footage, and proxy rendering? I dont understand it. Simple question lol.

:D
Tom Morter-Laing
Certified Apple Product Proffessional, 2010
Degree; TV Production

iMac 27" intel i7 2.93GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD5750 [1GB GDDR5], 2TB Int. SATA with 2TB External HDD; (FW800).

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
Re: Proxy Footage defined?
on Sep 21, 2010 at 11:55:14 am

Proxy means something 'low quality / high performance temp file to be replaced by the real mcCoy later on'

IOW, you create copies identical in name/timecode etc, but different in either codec, resolution or both.
Now you work with those untill the last phase, then you swap out the proxies for the originals.

Clear?

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
on Sep 22, 2010 at 12:12:26 am

I think so; but what is a proxy render then? Because surely if you import a lower resolution and stuff the rendering processes would just work as normal (albeit faster because lower quality), rather than showing that yellow line? So what's that all about/ what conditions do you have to have for the yellow line to show?

:D
Tom Morter-Laing
Certified Apple Product Proffessional, 2010
Degree; TV Production

iMac 27" intel i7 2.93GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD5750 [1GB GDDR5], 2TB Int. SATA with 2TB External HDD; (FW800).

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Sep 22, 2010 at 5:52:30 am

Hey T.

In FCP, the yellow (proxy) render bar status indicates an effected area that will only play back in realtime with certain effect parameter settings ... a classic example is the wipe transition which under some conditions might only play back in realtime with a hard edge, and would need to be rendered to do so with a soft edge, hence for best performance may play back with a hard edge, despite settings, until rendered.

Of course ... as system, application and hardware performance has increased, it is thankfully more difficult to run into these situations, but to trigger the example offered you might try taking a simple HD clip, adding a (realtime) gaussian blur filter to it, and then dropping an edge wipe transition on the end.

Hope it helps
Andy

Return to posts index

Hollie Osborn
on Oct 18, 2010 at 4:31:45 pm

Hi,

Ive been trying to find out exactly what the benefits are of ingesting footage as proxy rather than downcoverting the footage, is it the same thing?

Also can you only make a proxy file from tapeless formats? im under the impression that with cards a proxy file is created alongside the full res footage, therefore its quick to ingest (rather than downconverting) is this all totally wrong?

Many Thanks

Hollie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]