FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ram and other performance upgrades to MacPro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oscar Bucco
Ram and other performance upgrades to MacPro
on Sep 20, 2010 at 6:53:29 pm

Hello,
I have a MacPro1,1 Dual-Core Intel Xeon 2.66 GHz that I would like to upgrade for better performance and I am told the simplest way is to upgrade the RAM. Currently I have 3GB (2x512 and 2 x 1GB). I am wondering if I buy another 4GB (2 x 2GB) will that work okay even though they are different size configurations? In other words, can they all play together nice to make 7GB of memory or do I bite the bullet and pay double for 8GB of Ram (2x4GB or 4 x 2GB)? Obviously I would prefer the cheaper option if it will work.

Also, beyond ram, what would be the next two upgrades you would recommend for better performance editing and effects processing (Motion, After Effects, FCP 6).

Many thanks for your comments!
Oscar

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
Re: Ram and other performance upgrades to MacPro
on Sep 20, 2010 at 7:14:08 pm

"Also, beyond ram, what would be the next two upgrades you would recommend for better performance editing and effects processing (Motion, After Effects, FCP 6)."

Bigger, faster processors.

Scott Sheriff
Director
SST Digital Media
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 20, 2010 at 7:17:09 pm

Motion likes beefy Graphics cards. ATI 4870 for example...but that's an older one. I'm sure there are newer models. Make sure you get the MAC version...

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jeff Mueller
on Sep 21, 2010 at 3:07:40 am

I'm running basically the same system, but have gone from 3 up to 6 GB of Ram and have an ATI 4870 that I just need to flash.

More than 3 GB of Ram is definitely helpful, most here say 8 GB minimum, 12-16 GB ideal, but it does depend on what programs you're using as to how much beyond 4 (always need more than 4) you really need. My understanding is that AE loves Ram, Color is mostly dependent on the GPU except when rendering, FCP mostly wants really fast connection to the media. And yes you can (and should) keep your current Ram. With your Mac you MUST use matched pairs, that is, always have 2 exact modules, meaning not only same size but same manufacturer and production run. However, the idea that you need 4 of a kind is bunk. In certain circumstances there is a very slight performance bump to having 4 of a kind, but it is nowhere near equal to having more Ram, So 8 GB would be great but really you should do 4 x 2 GB and still add your 3 GB to the mix for 11 GB, or if you can't afford that now, do 2 x 2GB to get to 7 and plan on adding another 2 x 2 later.

I'm not a Computer expert, but I have researched this extensively for myself. Good luck.

Jeff Mueller
http://www.ApertureVideos.com
Santa Barbara, CA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]