FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can I pull a key live with a sony F900

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nelson May
Can I pull a key live with a sony F900
on Sep 20, 2010 at 6:26:15 pm

I have a client calling me asking if they can run a Sony F900 via FW into a MBP Dual 2.8 core and have FCP key it live.

I also have an 8 core mac (2.26GHz) if I need more horsepower.

I don't know if they want this recorded or just as reference as video assist.

I assume they are shooting in 1080 24fps. that info wasn't given to me, but that seems to me the HD format everyone is using on the Canon D5s and it is popular.

MBP 2.4GHz 4MB RAM, 30"cine, MAC PRO 2.6 8 core 6GB RAM, Mbox, Neumann TLM-103, FCP HD 7. Pro Tools 8, Adobe Creative Suite, Reason 3.0, Macromedia Studio, ProAnimator, HVX200 with Firestore v4.0

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Can I pull a key live with a sony F900
on Sep 20, 2010 at 6:48:34 pm

[Nelson May] "I have a client calling me asking if they can run a Sony F900 via FW into a MBP Dual 2.8 core and have FCP key it live."

No. That camera, from what I can tell, doesn't have firewire. Nor does it shoot a format that is transferrable via firewire. It shoots HDCAM...that isn't a firewire format. Only HDV and DVCPRO HD are sendable via firewire (in the HD realm). No, you will need something like the AJA IO HD for this.

[Nelson May] "I assume they are shooting in 1080 24fps. that info wasn't given to me, but that seems to me the HD format everyone is using on the Canon D5s and it is popular."

Oh dear. Not to sound too harsh here, but are you new to this? Comparing the HDCAM F900 pro camera to a Canon 5D? Thinking that it connects via firewire...Saying that 1080 24fps might be what they are shooting because "it is popular?" If you are going to be helping people who shoot high end HD in any way, you will need to know what you are doing. You will need to ASSIST someone who does this for a living for a while.

Don't ASSUME that they are doing anything. That gets you in DEEP DEEP hot water. Always ask. And BTW, that would be 1080 PSF...progressive segmented frames. This is stuff you need to know if you will be working with this format.

The client is unaware of the specs of the camera...YOU are unaware of the specs of the camera. You need to pass on this job and let someone with experience take it. And then ask if you can watch or assist. The client needs someone who knows what they are doing...and knows it well...otherwise this will be a disaster. Your reputation will take a hit, and reputation is everything.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 20, 2010 at 7:00:04 pm

Sorry Nelson...just read WHO posted this. You're a regular here, not ENTIRELY new to the process. But know that you need to know a bit more about the format they are shooting. And yes, if you are unsure of any step in this process, either hire someone to show you, or get someone else to do the job. I can't tell you how many time I have turned away jobs...RECENTLY TOO, because I don't know the workflows that well. Mainly RED jobs that eventually go to Scratch systems...because I haven't dealt with it yet. But now I am learning, so I can stop turning down work.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nelson May
on Sep 20, 2010 at 7:34:25 pm

I was going to pass on this. I told a PM that was working
The job I would see what the forums said. When
They said they didn't have enough info I said I would try to help with am answer. Personally thisis over my head and I didn't feel comfortable doing the job. I would have rented my MVP or mac pro

MBP 2.4GHz 4MB RAM, 30"cine, MAC PRO 2.6 8 core 6GB RAM, Mbox, Neumann TLM-103, FCP HD 7. Pro Tools 8, Adobe Creative Suite, Reason 3.0, Macromedia Studio, ProAnimator, HVX200 with Firestore v4.0

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]