FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mac Pro Hardware Setup For Final Cut Pro 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julie Mast
Mac Pro Hardware Setup For Final Cut Pro 7
on Sep 20, 2010 at 3:10:16 am

Hi Everyone

I have been reading over posts here and have found some great information. We are filming some hunting shows and ready to take it to our local tv station. We want to start doing our own video editing so that has put me in the market for the right equipment for the job.

I think I have decided to go with a Mac Pro 8 Core over the iMac even though we could save some $$ with the iMac.

Can some of you pro's out there help a very green newbie with recommendations on what other hardware we may need for getting setup.
I have been reading about converters, mixers, monitor types, raid drives and ram and must admit I am hitting information overload.

We are filming with a Sony FX7 and the show will be about 30 min with commercials and closed captioning.

Any help with what would be necessary hardware including monitor suggestions would be so greatly appreciated. Once we get setup I will be taking every FCP tutorial I can find to get up to speed with how to edit a killer show.. No pun intended LOL

Thank you in advance for your time and help!
Julie

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Mac Pro Hardware Setup For Final Cut Pro 7
on Sep 20, 2010 at 12:43:27 pm

You have a budget for your additional gear?

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

DVD:http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

Julie Mast
on Sep 20, 2010 at 1:07:21 pm

Hi Jerry

Well I am really hoping to stay under 5k if possible.
I would like to get setup as cheap as we can but I want to know what all the essential hardware would be to do things right. If we have to go over 5k we can or if there are things we can add later then I can upgrade as we need to.

Thank you
Julie

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Sep 20, 2010 at 5:33:06 pm

You'll want some fast drives to put in the Mac Pro, 2TB drives are OK I think, to use as scratch disks to store your media on. If you edit in native HDV, your render times will be pretty slowish, but doable if you're not doing a lot of effects. If you capture as ProRes, speeds go up, but so do storage needs.

You also need a way to monitor externally on at LEAST a properly set up consumer TV set. Samsung is making some 23 or 27" TV's that are native 1080 that aren't too bad. (and cheap too - like around $300) Least expensive way to monitor externally is to buy an MXO mini from Matrox so you can actually set up a consumer HD set via HDMI. (these are about 1k or so) You can send blue only bars to the TV for the job of calibrating it properly. No other company I know of has this feature. Otherwise, you don't know exactly what your picture looks like. It's certainly not the best, but it's a good value, and your budget isn't going to allow for "the best".

If you want better you need more budget. 5k would just cover an "OK" monitor for example.

But what I've suggested above is the minimal setup I'd think for a professional system.

I actually have a DVD that would help you with all of this and more if you're interested: http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

Jerry

Return to posts index

Lee Warner
on Sep 20, 2010 at 6:37:54 pm

Julie,
I just set up a system after a few months of research and asking questions on this and other forums. I've been in the editing field for many years but this is the first time I have invested in gear myself.

Mac Pro 2.66 12-core with 16gb ram (may add another 8)
Matrox MX02 with Max option
Caldigit HDOne 8tb Raid
Flanders Scientific 1760 grading monitor
Euphonix MC Transport control surface
APC 1500LTV UPS
2 Dell 2410 monitors
Final Cut Studio 3
Adobe CS5 Production Premium Bundle
2 Alesis Near Field Reference Speakers

I still need a few more items like a small analog mixer, voice mic, Magic Bullet plug-ins, etc.

Lee
SAMDOG Digital Post

Return to posts index

Julie Mast
on Sep 21, 2010 at 4:10:41 pm

Thank you both for your replies

I am going to do some research today to get a final price on the hardware. I really appreciate your input and advice :)
Do you have any websites you would recommend for good deals on hardware?

Thanks again
Julie

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Sep 21, 2010 at 4:16:28 pm

You might consider a VAR. (Value Added Reseller). Reason is, most of them setup your system in their shop before delivery, then support you after the sale a lot better than a "box" house will. Cost will be a bit higher in most cases, however you get support you just don't get from the least expensive seller.

I'll wager you may have one of these types of folk in your area. Thing to think about is that when your putting together your first system, it's a good idea to have backup. After all, if you go down a few days because you're waiting on the manufacturer (which the box house will refer you to), all savings you made buying from a box house go right out the window. Time is money after all.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

DVD:http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]