FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reconnecting Files Imported in FCP 4.5 now in FCP 6.06- Separate VIdeo & audio files!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Jarmon
Reconnecting Files Imported in FCP 4.5 now in FCP 6.06- Separate VIdeo & audio files!
on Sep 19, 2010 at 9:57:29 pm

I have had FCP since it came out in 1999... 1.0 up... Now, not the 'I use it all the time-Pro' but being a veteran and quite experienced, I have a question that I hope there is a nice, simple answer to... Here is the situation:

I have my own real live licensed copy of FCP 6.06, and I am trying to open up and access files that I digitized back in 2005, using Final Cut Pro 4.5 (as far as I remember), and the files are separated into their 'video' and 'audio' components in the respective Capture scratch folders, with file names designated in each folder, matching but with -av- instead of -a- for audio...

When I open and update the project file made when I created this archive of over 25 hours of tape shot over many years, the files appear 'off-line' as one might expect, and when trying to use the Media Reconnect tool, it seems to like and 'find' the video parts of the linked file, but it CAN NOT find the audio part, and gets stuck in an endless loop trying, and ultimately fails to link anything back to files that sit right there on my harddrive...! Unchecking the 'Only Matched Names,etc' box, I can manually direct the program to the video files, but the audio files are simply grayed out and are therefore inaccessible. This being the case, the whole attempt fails.

I can not open the Audio files in any program I have- Real Player, VLC, QuickTime, MpegStream, iTunes, etc- but I can open the Video files which play silently!... Audio files are an 'unrecognizable type.'

I tried to go in and 'Edit Item Properties' and tried different things like to change the 'source' it is looking for, etc., to no success, and I tried to select a video clip only in the 'off-line' timeline,and 'Make (it an) Independent Clip'to see if I could then reconnect it separately, but that option was grayed out... So, no go...

I guess the question is: UNLESS I WANT TO SPEND THE TIME DIGITIZING THE MORE THAN THIRTY TAPES IN THIS ARCHIVE, AND MANY OTHER SHORT EDITING PROJECTS THAT WERE DIGITIZED UNDER AN OLDER REGIME, WITH OLDER TECHNOLOGY, HOW DO I EITHER MERGE THE FILES?! OR, HOW DO I OPEN THE OLD PROJECT UP IN A NEW FCP VERSION, ON A NEWER MACBOOK PRO & OS WITH INTEL PROCESSORS, ETC?! AND GET THE FILES TO RECONNECT?!!

YES I have moved the projects from older harddrives to newer ones, consolidating things in the ever-expanding quantity of terabytes that we accumulate, and I had EVEN thought it would be good to archive entire tapes shot over a period of many years- 1999 to 2008 in this case- fearing break down of the tape they were shot on, etc., and trusting in the 'eminently reproducible' quality of ones and zeros digital technology, etc... BUT, I never expected this, and now going back to older material, wanting to get to work on a type of retrospective film project, I crash into this frustrating technological wall of red, 'off-line' rejection.

Any helpful comments on this would be just lovely- and never again, would I capture to 'separate files'... I don't even remember doing that back then, but I guess I had those settings chosen!

Thanks for any attention to this issue! Sorry for the length, but the detail might be necessary.

Mike J.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Reconnecting Files Imported in FCP 4.5 now in FCP 6.06- Separate VIdeo & audio files!
on Sep 20, 2010 at 12:38:14 pm

I hate to be the bearer of bad news: But you need to recapture. Capturing as separate files is where you indeed went wrong. There are few formats that can stand up to this technique. DV, DVCPRO, DVCPRO50, and DVCPRO HD won't for sure (manual actually states not to do this with these formats).

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

DVD:http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]