FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDV Batch Capture with Timecode via Firewire?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Redondo
HDV Batch Capture with Timecode via Firewire?
on Sep 18, 2010 at 6:46:54 pm

I understand that batch capture of HDV via firewire using specific timecode is easily done in Final Cut. Is this true? I'm trying to recapture clips that were previously captured at DV resolution and edited in Sony Vegas, but that has proven to be a huge problem.

Recapturing was impossible with Vegas, and even doing a specific batch capture using the timecode of my clips was not possible as Vegas does not do batch capture of HDV.

I understand there may be some inaccuracy with firewire HDV batch capture, though some say it is accurate. Some say that if I'm able to capture via HD-SDI I could get accurate timecode, I'm just not sure if I can find an affordable way of doing this.

I'm in a huge bind as this is a feature length project, and unfortunately I did not see this problem coming ahead of time. I need to solve this problem, and my budget is limited. If I do have to spend some money (which I'm willing to do if needed), I want to make sure that any solution will work and my efforts won't be in vain. I may be willing to switch the project completely over to Final Cut, but if I could simply find a way to capture HDV accurately with timecode, I could simply replace the clips in Vegas and be done.

Thanks so much for any help you can offer me.

Rick

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: HDV Batch Capture with Timecode via Firewire?
on Sep 20, 2010 at 5:49:00 am

Firstly, was the DV footage captured with correct timecode and reel numbers. If so then it should be possible to make an EDl from Vegas and bring that into FCP. Make sure the sequence settings are set to HDV (with the correct 720 or 1080 easy setup)

Then you can batch capture with timecode accuracy into FCP of just the final shots plus handles. The accuracy is entirely dependent on the correct capture proceedures in Vegas.

I have recaptured feature length docos wih over 1000 edits from an AVID poject via an EDL with 100% frame accuracy with firewire HDV codec recapture. Make a reference quickime frm the DV sequence in Vegas and put that on the top video track with opacity set to 50 and you can see the frame sync match through the reference to the clips below to check back after batch capture. Experiment with a few shots from different reels.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]