FORUMS: list search recent posts

OT: Are these the correct BNC connectors for my PVM?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Soriano
OT: Are these the correct BNC connectors for my PVM?
on Sep 15, 2010 at 9:24:55 pm

Looking to connect component cables to my PVM-14L5. I'm wondering if the following link is the correct BNC connectors to attach my component cable to my PVM? They are RCA but is there a quality difference? I couldn't find component BNC connectors. Thanks.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10401&cs_id=10...

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: OT: Are these the correct BNC connectors for my PVM?
on Sep 15, 2010 at 9:43:43 pm

[Jay Soriano] "Looking to connect component cables to my PVM-14L5. "

From what?

Return to posts index

Jay Soriano
on Sep 15, 2010 at 10:35:40 pm

Hi Jeremy,

Just for now, I will be going component out from a Panasonic HVX200/HMC150 or Blu-ray player so I'm looking for the correct BNC connectors to attach my component cables to the PVM-14L5's BNC component in connection. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 15, 2010 at 10:47:49 pm

If your component leads are RCA, then those RCA to BNC adapters will work. I wouldn't use them for critical signal path but you are just talking about monitoring. They are a bit of a fiddle sometimes and there is no reason to get "gold plated".

My preference is to make up my own leads using quality video cables with BNCs crimped on one end and RCAs soldered on the other, but I have a soldering iron and BNC crimping tool. Adapters are always a weak point and frankly they cost more than buying and crimping your own leads. If you have a friend with the right gear, then it would be better to ask them to make up a few leads.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Sep 15, 2010 at 11:03:23 pm

[Jay Soriano] "Just for now, I will be going component out from a Panasonic HVX200/HMC150 or Blu-ray player"

Ok, I believe those have two different types of connections? The HVX-200 has a small snake of cables that come out from the camera and they have BNC connectors on the other end already, correct? So you're already good there.

As for the BluRay Player, I would get a set of BNC to RCA cables so you have good connections on both ends. The RCA end goes to the BluRay, the BNC goes to the PVM. Like these:

http://www.markertek.com/Cables-Connectors-Adapters/Video-Cables/BNC-to-RCA...

I have no idea what the HMC150 has for output, but if it's RCA component output, those same cables will work for that.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" featuring Sigourney Weaver coming soon.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Jay Soriano
on Sep 15, 2010 at 11:20:27 pm

Below are the type of component cables I currently have so connecting from the Blu-ray player/HVX200/HMC150 is easy. I just want to make sure the RCA BNC connectors from my first post are the correct ones to use to connect the other ends of these component cables to my PVM without degrading the signal. Thank you gentlemen. =)

Blu-Ray Player:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/546860-REG/Pearstone_VRCC_110_3_RCA_M...

HVX200:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/410327-REG/Canon_0976B001_D_Terminal_...

HMC150:

http://www.spec-comm.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3912

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 15, 2010 at 11:53:04 pm

Given those cable variations, use the RCA to BNC adaptors and leave them on the PVM monitor. Also buy a spare. I have found the odd dodgy adaptor

Return to posts index

Jay Soriano
on Sep 16, 2010 at 3:01:37 pm

Walter, will that bnc rca cable from markertek give me the highest picture quality or will it degrade the picture? Is it good enough for color critical grading? Thanks.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Sep 16, 2010 at 3:11:22 pm

[Jay Soriano] "Walter, will that bnc rca cable from markertek give me the highest picture quality or will it degrade the picture? Is it good enough for color critical grading? Thanks."

Yeah, the cables are very good. We use them here to feed from our BluRay players to the plasma screens. This is a MUCH better option that to just use the RCA to BNC adapters.

And I realized earlier you said you couldn't find "component BNC cables." You just buy three cables with BNC connectors and there you. Sometimes they sell them in bundles with nice red, green and blue colors sleeves, but most of us just buy three SDI cables with BNC connectors and there you go.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 16, 2010 at 3:21:29 pm

Our HVX200 cable has RCA connectors on the end. Doesn't yours?

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Sep 16, 2010 at 3:26:16 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Our HVX200 cable has RCA connectors on the end. Doesn't yours?"

We don't own one, that's why I was asking.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 16, 2010 at 3:27:23 pm

Sorry, I meant to ask Jay.

Return to posts index

Jay Soriano
on Sep 16, 2010 at 4:41:55 pm

Our HVX does have RCA connectors which is why I was wondering in the first post if those BNC RCA connectors from monoprice are the correct ones to attach my component cables to the pvm without degradation. I guess I'm thinking of RCA as composite only but from what I see on the net, RCA can be composite or component, correct? According to Michael, a component cable with built in BNC is better than a component cable with RCA outs connected to BNC connectors to the PVM?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 16, 2010 at 4:46:22 pm

The component signal is made up of a grouping of three cables. It is not a composite signal. A composite signal is one cable. The RCA cables on the HVX are a component signal that have RCA connections on them. When using our HVX, we have those adapters that you speak of, plus BNC barrel connectors and a BNC component cable to connect to a monitor.

You will be fine with those connectors.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Sep 16, 2010 at 5:32:34 pm

Jay

You should have received 3 RCA-BNC connectors with the camera. My HPX-500 and HPX-170 came with them.

[Jeremy Garchow] "The component signal is made up of a grouping of three cables. It is not a composite signal. A composite signal is one cable. The RCA cables on the HVX are a component signal that have RCA connections on them. When using our HVX, we have those adapters that you speak of, plus BNC barrel connectors and a BNC component cable to connect to a monitor."

Reminds me when the A/V guy at the hotel asked me what cable he needed for an SDI connection. He was confused when I told him BNC to BNC.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Jay Soriano
on Sep 17, 2010 at 5:25:38 pm

Now I need to decide on either an AJA, Matrox or other I/O device for my Macbook Pro edit suite. But that's another thread...time to do my research first. Thank you everyone for your help. =)

Return to posts index

Jay Soriano
on Sep 18, 2010 at 8:55:04 pm

Walter, are using these bnc cables better than bnc adaptors because of better picture quality or connectivity(or both)? Thanks for the clarification.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]