FORUMS: list search recent posts

Migrating an edit from FCP to Avid

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Young
Migrating an edit from FCP to Avid
on Sep 15, 2010 at 12:44:10 pm

I have been asked to take over an edit that has been started on FCP. It's an HDCAM EX project, so all the media has come in from cards.

The director has suggested that we could either continue in FCP or change to using Avid.

I have no experience of Automatic Duck or similar and am wondering if migrating a project like this is feasible.

In the good old days of tape I would have thought that offlining in FCP and then outputting an EDL or Automatic Duck-ing the sequence to Avid would be fine. But when it's a question of working with HD footage off cards for the offline and online, can you still change from one piece of software to another like that.

I'm assuming that FCP media files can't be read in Avid and vice versa?

Tim

Tim Young

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Migrating an edit from FCP to Avid
on Sep 15, 2010 at 1:01:28 pm

You can use Automatic Duck to bring over SEQUENCES, but not full projects with all the imported media and bin structure and everything. This isn't possible. You cannot migrate an entire project from one NLE to the other without MAJOR work. And in the end it might just not be worth it.

Continue the work in FCP. That's my suggestion.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Migrating an edit from FCP to Avid
on Sep 15, 2010 at 1:11:09 pm

[Tim Young] "I'm assuming that FCP media files can't be read in Avid and vice versa?"
I guess that AVID in a Mac can open the EX files as far as you have the codec installed.
PCs uses MFX files.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]